Answered

Connect:amp and Linn AV5140 speakers

• 31 December 2017
  • 4 replies

I'm considering using the connect:amp to drive my 20 year old Linn AV5140s. The Linn documentation says the amp must deliver at least 60W/4Ohms. Anyone with thoughts or experience using the connect:amp and older high-end floor standing speakers like the 5140s?
icon

Best answer by pwt 16 January 2018, 15:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, djdp. Welcome to the community. No specific experience with these devices, though as outlined in the CONNECT:AMP speaker article, they would need to meet the appropriate requirements for impedance and wattage. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm considering using the connect:amp to drive my 20 year old Linn AV5140s. The Linn documentation says the amp must deliver at least 60W/4Ohms. Anyone with thoughts or experience using the connect:amp and older high-end floor standing speakers like the 5140s?
The Connect:Amp is rated as delivering 110W per channel into 4 ohms, so you should be fine from that perspective. The Linn speakers are rated at 90dB, so you should also be OK for efficiency.

My Connect:Amp is driving a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 floorstanders, which are 4 ohm impedance and 92dB efficiency -- not dissimilar from the Linns, and this setup sounds good.

Linn specs at the link below, btw:
http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/b/bd/Av5140_info.pdf
It is often also necessary to get used to running the Connect Amp at higher volume slider level positions than many modern amps that tend to max out at 60%; although this may be less of a need with 90dB sensitivity speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It is often also necessary to get used to running the Connect Amp at higher volume slider level positions than many modern amps that tend to max out at 60%; although this may be less of a need with 90dB sensitivity speakers.
Yes, that's definitely true. It can give the impression that the Amp is underpowered. That impression is false: the Amp is very loud (and distortion free) at its higher volume settings, and I've never been able to endure taking it to 100%.