Question

Connect a Recommended Medium Priced Midi system to my Sonos Wirelessly! Which one?

• 7 February 2017
  • 12 replies

I am in a dilemma! I would like to use a mini system to my Sonos Connect and Play 1's. But nobody will recommend something compatible. I understand it isn't good to recommend other companies products but I would like to play CD and my USB turntable through the same system to my Sonos! Can anyone recommend a medium priced CD mini unit and with what it requires the specification requirements needed to connect wirelessly to my Sonos please?
Like (0) Quote More

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Firstly you can't connect wirelessly to the Sonos. You'd need to take a line-level signal (e.g. from a REC OUT) from any mini/midi/maxi box by wire and plug it into your CONNECT's Line-In jacks.

But more fundamentally, why are you playing CDs? Rip them to storage somewhere then Sonos can index them, search them and play the music files directly. Then just wire the RCA outputs from your turntable (you'll need a phono preamp if the turntable doesn't already contain one) to the CONNECT Line-In, for the occasional vinyl fix. No need to contemplate any midi/whatever.
I used to have a Denon Dm 38 box that was brilliant and still remains so, I believe, although it may be the Dm 40 now; CDP+Radio+Amp all in one small well made box. But it fell into disuse soon after moving to Sonos, so I echo the suggestion above.
Buying a midi system of any sort for this purpose is just a bad idea. You should follow @ratty's advice, which gives you a solution that is better in every way than what you are contemplating. .
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Buying a midi system of any sort for this purpose is just a bad idea. You should follow @ratty's advice, which gives you a solution that is better in every way than what you are contemplating. .

Unless, of course, you like the physical attributes of collecting, possession, something physical. If Sonos thought it was such a bad idea for people to want to play CDs, vinyl, etc they wouldn't give you the opportunity via the Connect/Connect:AMP.

I say this not because I don't understand these modern concepts- I have Spotify, Subsonic, I have ripped my CDs to my NAS. But just because you can get rid of thar CD player doesn't mean you have to. Enjoy the physical!

Unless, of course, you like the physical attributes of collecting, possession, something physical. If Sonos thought it was such a bad idea for people to want to play CDs, vinyl, etc they wouldn't give you the opportunity via the Connect/Connect:AMP.

I am not arguing with your preferences. But the Connect and C:A were designed in a different age, before streaming from the internet. And it clearly helps commercially to offer more choices. And it is the only option for vinyl. But Sonos chose to leave it off of the P:1 and P:3. I think it is there for those with legacy kit they are attached to, not as an incentive to go out and buy more.

But there are many ways to enjoy Sonos, including yours and mine.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'm not saying that you are arguing with my preference, I used your quote as an example for the discussion.

There are many ways to enjoy Sonos, but if someone says "why are you playing CDs?" (Which is a very frequent argument and, indeed a recommendation made to people on here to drop the physical), I do think there needs to be a balance with someone saying I play them because I like playing them and because I like playing them I need to consider ways I can play them.

What you are saying is buying a midi system is a bad idea. Now I'm also not arguing with your preferences, but a preference isn't the only solution, it's just your solution (and many othe people's, I grant you) But the original poster was looking for a solution to a problem- in the balance of fairness to that person, I think it is only right to set out the options and allow them to make the choice, rather than telling them that they have had a bad idea.
I still think that buying a whole midi system when you already have Sonos is slightly eccentric, but as you imply, it's his choice..
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'd go for individual components if you wanted all of the options, perhaps with a switch.
someone saying I play them because I like playing them and because I like playing them I need to consider ways I can play them.

I suggest the question that troubles you would not be asked if people started their question with the quoted as the opening sentence! Allied to the shared experience of many that answer: of having boxed and sold CDPs once the convenience and facility of NAS contained music was fully understood, down to that of buying music in digital form. Perhaps we are wrong in assuming that this has not been fully appreciated by someone that wants to go out and buy a new CDP in 2017.

Also, this kind of an answer is rarely offered to the person who posts here asking the same question with respect to a turntable purchase being contemplated. Why is that, I wonder?:)
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I think I understand what you are saying. I do think there is an issue with people not fully understanding how Sonos works and what options it allows and doesn't allow.

Of course, the options aren't necessarily cheap. Let's say you spend £1,000 on speakers, then realise that it's another £10 a month for Spotify,, plus £1 a month for Subsonic, then you want a NAS, etc, etc.

It can all become very confusing!
Let's say you spend £1,000 on speakers, then realise that it's another £10 a month for Spotify,, plus £1 a month for Subsonic, then you want a NAS, etc, etc.

It can all become very confusing!

Yes, so it makes sense to spend on the NAS instead of the midi system and fully leverage the Sonos investment; an adequate NAS is cheaper than almost any decent midi system. Obviously some one that still prefers the manual handling of CDs will buy a CDP, but we tend to assume that these are exceptions unless specifically told otherwise.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yes, but that does require a much higher level of technical competency than I suspect most people are willing to invest in a system for playing music.