Answered

cd player

• 19 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello, I have a set of Play 1s and I intend to add a subwoofer.

I have some cds that I cannot get on Apple Music that I would like to play.

Is the Sonos Connect the only way to connect a CD player?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 19 June 2019, 03:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You need Sonos kit with line in jacks, and Connect is one such. Connect Amp/Play 5 are other such.
You are better off investing in a NAS for less than half the price of any of the above, rip the CDs to it and play on Sonos. And box the CDs and sell the CD player.
Thanks Kumar, do you have any opinions on a good entry level model? I don’t need very much storage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I made my new one. Bought an Odroid Hc 1 for £59 then added a spare hard drive I had (250gb) which is plenty big enough. You can pick up a SATA 120gb drive for £15!
https://www.odroid.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=817
They do an HC2 module for 3 and a half inch drives.
Lots of YouTube tutorials too help you.

Loaded Openemdiavault, flashed it to a cheap SD card and for free and took 30 mins to have it up and running.

https://www.openmediavault.org/

The hard drive I have is an SSD so the whole thing is silent too and with a gigabit interface it's quicker than my old expensive Nas. It's small enough to hide anywhere and it was great fun and very satisfying to make and set up.

So a full function Nas for £75 or less if you have a spare drive
I got the smallest size WD My Cloud for about USD 110; at 2 TB the memory is still huge for just music and most of mine is unused. It has worked flawlessly from day 1, about four years ago.
If your router has a USB port, the simpler solution will be a memory stick; before buying one, try one CD ripped to any memory stick lying around and see if it works for Sonos.
Thanks bockersjv and Kumar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I originally went cheap, Raspberry Pi, USB to SATA cable, 2.5 SATA SSD. Easy to set up, rock solid stability and longer security update time-frame than many NAS devices. Plenty fast enough for multiple players, very low power and totally silent in a tiny case, wired or WiFi options and you can sometimes find the WiFi only one for $5.00.

Got fancy and switched to a piggy-back M.2 drive to get rid of the cable and external SSD a while back.