Caution with expectations from Sonos products - I got burned twice.

If you are, like me, not an audiophile and rely on Sonos ads for information, you may be sorely disappointed. Ads for Sonos One and Play1 both advertise connectivity to your "other smart devices." Based on this claim, I fully expected the Sonos One and/or the to connect to my smart TV. It is a smart device in my home. Nowhere did it say this claim excluded TV sound. Finally, Sonos support told me that route sound from my TV that I would need an additional Sonos device that retails for about $700. This is classically bait-and-switch.Good luck with these folks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

If you keep buying devices labelled "Smart" and expect them to work together just because they are so labelled, you will be burnt many times in the future even if Sonos is not part of your spend.

It will take years for this kind of working together to happen - if ever.
That's nice to know. Perhaps Sonos could then refrain from advertising claims that their device can not do.
Welcome to the world of ads and marketing. As it has been for years before Sonos arrived on the scene.
That's nice to know. Perhaps Sonos could then refrain from advertising claims that their device can not do.

Sonos One connects with smart devices like thermostats, lightbulbs, door locks, garage openers, tv remotes, refrigerators, washers, dryers, and dozens, maybe hundreds of others. It may not connect to your current smart tv.

Now please explain how the Sonos One does not connect to "other smart devices".
It did NOT specify that it would not connect to my TV. I think there is an obligation to be as clear as one can be, even if it has to be written in fine print. I see "can connect to other smart devices'" and I say, "Hey, good deal, I'll hook it up to my smart TV. NOT.
If you get into fine print, a lawyer would say that what is NOT said is " it can connect to all other smart devices, named as such". Legally, there is no requirement to say what a product cannot do.

But in the real world, ads are not be relied entirely on when spending the kind of money Sonos requires buyers to spend. Some further buyer research is needed to not get burnt. There is nothing new about this state of affairs for decades now.
I’m sorry you feel misled. I’m afraid if you rely on advertising for any product to inform your purchasing decisions, you’re going to be unhappy most of the time.
All to true, Bruce
Um, make that "too".
It did NOT specify that it would not connect to my TV. I think there is an obligation to be as clear as one can be, even if it has to be written in fine print. I see "can connect to other smart devices'" and I say, "Hey, good deal, I'll hook it up to my smart TV. NOT.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of things labeled "Smart" these days. You surely aren't suggesting they list on the package every device it will not connect with? Is the consumer not responsible for a slight bit of research?

My suggestion? Take it back and buy what fits your needs. Life is too short to argue over marketing blurbs.