Answered

Cannot get Sonos to open my WD NAS music file

• 8 November 2019
  • 12 replies

I recently installed a WD  NAS on my system

I uploaded all of my fairly extensive music library up to the NAS with no issues.

When I try to add the Folder on the NAS to Sonos with the Windows App I can see the folder in the add music services window, but the “button” to select it is greyed out.

I have tried it in both the public and private sides of the NAS, and have tried moving the folder out on it’s own. I have done some research on permissions and think I have things set up correctly but cannot get the ability to select the folder.

I assume it is some sort of a permission problem but am at a loss to sort it out.

Can someone advise me?

icon

Best answer by pwt 15 November 2019, 09:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Make sure you have SMB v1 enabled on your NAS device, Sonos requires it.

Thanks Stanley

I should have mentioned that I can see and run the music library that is resident on my C drive. I just cannot select the one on my WD MyCloud.

I do have SMB v1 enabled on my computer in Windows features, I cannot find any setting that would allow me to enable the setting on my NAS. Can you advise me how to enable this setting on my WD MyCloud? I have searched the settings for it and the help site.

As you can see, I can browse to the folder, but it will not allow me to click the next button.

getting a bit frustrated LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I can’t help with the WD setting, I found it on my old WD Live but can’t find my notes. I gave up on WD here and use a Raspberry Pi to share my music. It can also be an SMB v1 gateway to another NAS.

Pi for Sonos: Live Journal

Thanks Stanley

I should have mentioned that I can see and run the music library that is resident on my C drive. I just cannot select the one on my WD MyCloud.

I do have SMB v1 enabled on my computer in Windows features, I cannot find any setting that would allow me to enable the setting on my NAS. Can you advise me how to enable this setting on my WD MyCloud? I have searched the settings for it and the help site.

As you can see, I can browse to the folder, but it will not allow me to click the next button.

getting a bit frustrated LOL

Instead of trying to access via the drive name, have you tried using the network path name, as per the examples? I don’t see how Sonos is supposed to understand the PC type drive letter.

Drive mapping letters only have meaning within Windows. Sonos requires a network device name (or hard IP address). Click the Browse button and locate the device/folder.

As stated, you cannot access a locally mapped drive (‘W:\’) from outside the computer it is mapped to.  The Sonos devices can only access the NAS via a network share name (i.e. ‘\\NAS_NAME\SHARE_NAME’) as shown in the examples.  Click browse, then Network, and find the NAS/Share on the network.  

Thanks for all of your input!

I am not manually entering the file path into the window. I am using the browse button and browsing to the NAS folder my music is in within the NAS, then selecting it in the Browse window. That is where the W:\music path name comes from. I am not manually entering.It is a short path because I have my music folder in the root directory on the NAS (W) drive.

I see other people are successfully using the same drive I have, and have not seemed to have these issues. It seems strange. I just had an interesting thought. I have my music on the “Public” side of the NAS, I wonder if it is treating it like a public network???  does not seem like it should. It is all part of my overall network which I have as a private network.

I may play around with some other ways of describing the file path, Thanks!

The ‘W:\” is a Windows mapped drive.  The only way you could be selecting that is if you are browsing the local PC.  You need to browse the Network instead.  There should be a selection window when you open the Browse window.  Scroll down on your selections until you see Network. 

Also, you can go to Windows Explorer and right click on the ‘W:\’ drive and select Properties.  Information on the network path is somewhere in the properties window.  You could enter that network path manually in the Sonos setup.  

Hi again

I think you guys are right, I am browsing to my computer. When I try to browse to the NAS by clicking on the network in the browse window in Sonos the NAS does not show up

I have been trying to sort out the correct file path name, it does not show up in the properties windows ( i remember in older versions of windows they did)

I have tried a bunch of attempts at file paths but cannot seem to get it right.

Not sure how to proceed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Find the SMB v1 enable option on the WD, might have to call their support folks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Try the following: add the share in the Sonos app using Music Library Settings:

1. Choose ‘Networked Device’ as the share type
  2. Use \\WDMYCLOUD\Music as the path to the networked share
  3. Click ‘Next’ then enter the username and password for your WD device, or leave them blank if the ‘Public’ shares on the WD are password-free.

Thank you Prodigy!!!

I had actually already tried that path, but seeing it written in your email made me realize I have being really dense, and there was another level to the path I had not been using .

the path is \\WDMYCLOUD\public\Music  there are shares on the mycloud with other types of access and data. Basically another tier of folders. I should have caught it before now. The share that contains files photos and music that is available to anyone on the network is the one called “Public”. there are other folders I auto back up to that are in a Private share. 

It is working perfectly now. I really appreciate you talking me through it!!