Answered

Can I use a Sonos beam for surround sound

• 21 June 2019
  • 5 replies

Currently I have a Playbar, sub, 2 play 1s in the room. I really don’t have anywhere to put the play 1’s except for a stand behind the couch which would not be ideal with 3 kids running around all the time. I thought about hanging them in the wall but it would look odd with the way the house is built. Then I thought about buying a Sonos beam and hanging it right behind the couch above an entryway which would look more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. So it brings me to my question. Would it be as effective as having 2 1’s behind me? If not, I’m open to any other advice as long as the setup would look clean.

icon

Best answer by ratty 21 June 2019, 11:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No, unfortunately, there's no way to have a Beam play surround information.

I think if you mounted a pair of either PLAY:1s or Sonos Ones in white, they'd disappear in your normal view after a few weeks. But I'd also be paying an electrician to get some power sockets to feed them, I'd not want to hang power cables down the front of the wall, and it would be illegal (at least here in the states) to run them inside the wall.

Lovely room.
It would perhaps make more sense to use an Amp for the rear surrounds, driving some discreet wall-mounted speakers of your choosing.
No, unfortunately, there's no way to have a Beam play surround information.

I think if you mounted a pair of either PLAY:1s or Sonos Ones in white, they'd disappear in your normal view after a few weeks. But I'd also be paying an electrician to get some power sockets to feed them, I'd not want to hang power cables down the front of the wall, and it would be illegal (at least here in the states) to run them inside the wall.

Lovely room.

Thanks! I didn’t realize it would be illegal to run them down the wall? I thought to hire electrician regardless to get power sockets.
It would perhaps make more sense to use an Amp for the rear surrounds, driving some discreet wall-mounted speakers of your choosing.

hmm. Didn’t think about that. Any advice on wall mounted speakers?
Putting regular power cords inside the wall is against building codes, at least here in the states. But ratty’s suggestion is much better than mine. Sonos has partnered with a company called Sonance, you can find many of their speakers on the Sonos website in the sales area.

I don’t have any experience with them, but they do seem pricey to me, although I’ve not done any research. Most “in-wall” speakers would likely work, perhaps check with your installer?