Question

Can i pair a play 5 (2nd gen) with a play 1 (1st gen)?

• 14 April 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi all, sorry if this has covered before.

Can i pair a play 5 (2nd gen) with a play 1 (1st gen)?

I just bought a Sonos play 5 (2nd gen) and someone is selling me a Sonos play 1(1st gen).

I’m assuming they can be paired and use them as a single setup through the Sonos app, I’m I right?

thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No, you can only pair speakers of the same type to be a stereo pair. You can, however, group those two speakers so they play the same thing in sync. Slight difference in terminology there. 

Oh off course you’re right, not as stereo but the play 1 1st gen as surround to help fill a room.

its possible?

Define surround?

In speaker terms, a ‘surround’ speaker is one of a pair of speakers associated with a front set of speakers that are connected to a video source. The Surround specs create the back channels, left and right, like you’re in a movie theater. For that sort of setup, it requires a stereo pair.

If you’re just saying you’re just trying to fill a room when playing music, that isn’t technically a surround speaker, and yes, that would work. 

That was really the question. I’m a n00b in terminology, I just wanted to know if they can stream the same source through the Sonos app.

Thanks

Yes, all Sonos speakers can be sync’d for music. 

Some terminology for use when talking about the Sonos ecosystem.

Pair: Two speakers set up so that one speaker plays the left channel, the other speaker plays the right.

Group: a way to combine multiple ‘rooms’ (zones) in the Sonos software so that the various ‘rooms’ play the same thing in sync. Easily combined and separated in the Sonos software. 

Bond; a more permanent way to connect certain speakers up in a master/slave relationship. A SUB can be bonded to any speaker so that it is a slave to that device. The surrounds and SUB are bonded / slaved to a Sonos Amp or sound bar in order to act as surround speakers and LFE channel.  Can be unbonded  through the Sonos software, but takes more effort, and removes TruPlay tuning, if it has been applied. Most people find it to be too much effort to switch back and forth.

Hope this helps. Sorry to be so pedantic, but unless we are meaning the same thing when we use these terms, it’s liable that I’ll mean one thing, and you’ll understand something different. I don’t want that to happen, as Sonos really is a great system ;)

No worries, I was looking for answers, more in terms of compatibility between an older and a newer speaker. You answered in detail, and I appreciate that.