Answered

Can I easily move speakers frequently

• 6 September 2017
  • 3 replies

I am new to Sonos but about to buy. I have read a lot but don't know the technology or the Sonos App so would appreciate clarifying the following.

I plan to get a Playbase for TV. I am also thinking 2 Play:1 or 2 Play :3. These would be used either as part of a 5.1 setting, or in kitchen and dining room when we have guests or long dinners. Is it easy to move the speakers from being stereo in surround sound setting to single speakers in different rooms? Or does it require major reconfiguration each time they move? We are liable to end up with them in 1 place and maybe extend the system, but want to start with something that is viable for both configurations and see how that goes.

The reason for Play:3 vs Play:1 is thinking they could be used as individual speakers.

Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Jim
icon

Best answer by jgatie 6 September 2017, 21:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not really that easy. Bonding as surrounds is a semi-permanent connection. It isn't as simple as just moving the speakers, you must un-bond, then re-bond them again to move back and forth. Bonding isn't that difficult, a couple minutes or so, but you would lose any Trueplay tuning each time you un-bond. Redoing Trueplay each time would be a pain, and while it is not necessary for the operation of the speakers, it does optimize their sound for the room.
It also depends on your definition of hard/easy. Things that would have seemed easy a couple of decades ago are seen as hard to do today, seeing the way tech seems to baby all of us.

Some suggestions:
1. Since you don't know the subject, I suggest some research into the different video formats and their compatibility with Sonos. I am not able to advise, but I know enough to know that these exist and are deal breakers for some.
2. One way to make it "easy" to move surround speakers is to not have them there at all. IMO, you won't miss a whole lot of the movie at home experience by doing so. On the other hand, the movie experience will be noticeably enhanced by having a Sub as part of what will then be a 3.1 set up. If I was to choose between Sub or play 1 surround pair for movies, I would pick Sub, except that other rooms cannot be served without more hardware.
3. In either case, the 1 units are quite adequate.
4. If you leave the TV set up to just be playbase with/without Sub, moving the 1 units around is as easy as physically doing so, if you don't see much reason for the Trueplay tuning. You can even leave them in living room to be grouped to the 3.0/3.1 set up for music play for a more immersive music coverage there, even at low volumes. Or move them to other rooms. Or always leave them in other rooms.
Each speaker has it's own amplifier, plus treble and base are ajustable as well. They all sound incredible. I keep my 2 play 1 surrounds on full, not ambient, and turned all the way up in Advanced settings, ambient surround is not my style. You could just add them as different rooms, it's quick and simple to group/ungroup. Also, my surrounds are at least 30 feet apart and not near the same distance to the TV viewing area I was impressed how well they handled that. I find the app easy to use and navigate as well. Kumar said some of the same things in a more eloquent way.