Answered

Can I connect a Geneva speaker to a Connect Amp

• 6 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I’m investing in Sonos environment and I will buy soon a Sonos amp to power some in-ceiling speakers and I was wondering whether I could “recycle” and integrate in my Sonos environment one speaker I bought years ago which has an amazing sound.

It is a Geneva Lab model M speaker which is basically as powered speaker with a dock for iphone on the top, a radio tuner inside and also a Line-In 3.5mm plug at the back.

Here’s an idea of the Geneva Speaker, this link is for the S model which basically the same but without the Iphone dock on the the top:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/31/review-geneva-lab-model-s-wireless-speaker

Do you think I could connect the Sonos amp to the Line-In of my Geneva speaker in order to stream music to all my Sonos speakers but also the the Geneva speaker?

I that’s possible, what sort of materials/accessories is required to connect both?

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 June 2021, 23:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

The Connect:Amp and Amp don’t have RCA audio out ports to be able to connect to a powered speaker like the Geneva. You would need to get a Sonos Connect or Sonos Port and use an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to connect the Geneva from its 3.5mm line in port to the Connect or Port’s RCA audio out ports.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3652?language=en_US

Brilliant, many thanks for your quick response.

I understand the Sonos Connect has been discontinued and replaced by the Sonos Port, is there a real benefit to go for the latest Sonos Port or maybe a 2nd generation Sonos Connect would be better value for money?

With this setup, will I be able to “see” and control the Geneva speaker in the app and to group it with other Sonos speaker?

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 7

I think the main benefit of getting the Port rather than the Connect (Gen 2) is the Port is AirPlay 2 compatible which will come in handy if you use iOS devices. The Connect is not AirPlay compatible.

The Connect also looks a little dated and bulky compared to the Port. The Port has a little more processing power and slightly improved audio. The Port is also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple Home Kit. 

If you do decide to go with the Connect, make sure it is a Gen 2 so you can use it with the Sonos S2 app.

The Geneva will appear in the Sonos app as the Port and you will be able to control it and group it with your other Sonos speakers through the app.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

So, while that Geneva speaker probably does sound good, unless you need some other features, you may want to consider replacing it with a Five, which is roughly the same cost as the Port, but simplifies the setup.  Of course, the Port or Connect have other advantages like inputs and digital outputs that may be more useful later.

Many thanks @GuitarSuperstar and @airforceteacher for your great insightful responses, much appreciated!

I don’t really need airplay2 and if one day I need to use ios devices, I will be able to do so through my other recent Sonos devices which are Airplay compatible.

I understand the point between spending money on a new Sonos 5 which is more or less same price tag as the port, but it’s mainly to keep using my Geneva otherwise it will stay in the garage…

If I have a Serial number for a Sonos connect, how can I check whether it’s S2 compatible? Is Sonos customer service will be able to tell me if that’s the case or not?

I find it tricky to find the cut off date between 1st gen Connect and 2nd gen Connect...

Userlevel 7

The first four digits of the serial number are the YYMM of the manufacture date. Anything 2016 and newer is Gen 2. Some people say the cutoff date was 1502 (Feb. 2015). You can also look at the top button on front of the Connect. If it is a mute button, more than likely it’s a Gen 1. If it’s a play/pause button, it’s probably a Gen 2. But looking at the serial number is more accurate.