Question

Boost vs Symfonisk

• 20 April 2020
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I have an old soon to be depreciated Bridge and want to replace it but I’m not sure of the best option.

Getting a Boost would obviously be the easiest direct replacement but as I would quite like an additional speaker, I was wondering about using an IKEA Symfonisk to create the mesh network as an alternative.

What would be the reliability and performance be like compared to just getting a Boost?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Any Sonos devices connected by cable will act as a Boost (i.e set up a Sonosnet connection). If the Symfonisk is placed in a central position between all your Sonos devices you're good to go.

I have read some complaints about the wifi reception of the Symfonisk though, so maybe you would better choose a One SL for this. The price difference between de One SL and the Symfonisk is not so big as the One SL is on sale this week (?). The One SL seems to sound a bit better too.

You could order both and if the Symfonisk works OK for you, send the One SL back.

@106rallye Thanks for your reply.

I’m not quite ready to purchase at the moment and once the price of the SL goes back up I’m not sure I can justify the additional cost.

This is only an additional speaker for the office and I’m not really too worried about it having the most fantastic sound quality but I don’t want it to be significantly worse than a Boost for setting up the Sonosnet.

I see a few people are having issues connecting Symfonisk to existing setups but can’t see many people who have reported problems using it as the main Sonosnet connection (plugged directly into the Modem/Router) and I was interested to know if anyone has had any experience of this.

Any Sonos devices connected by cable will act as a Boost (i.e set up a Sonosnet connection). If the Symfonisk is placed in a central position between all your Sonos devices you're good to go.

Does it really matter if the wired device is in a central location?  My understanding on Sonosnet is that all you really need is for the wired device to be in range of another wireless device, and so on down the line.  The Boost device is not connecting to each Sono device separately like a WiFi hub does.

Userlevel 7

Does it really matter if the wired device is in a central location?  My understanding on Sonosnet is that all you really need is for the wired device to be in range of another wireless device, and so on down the line.  The Boost device is not connecting to each Sono device separately like a WiFi hub does.

I’m in agreement with @melvimbe. Although I understand your rationale @106rallye I’ve not read anything that would dictate that a device creating the SonosNet be centrally located. :thinking:  

Thanks for all the replies.

I also understood that as Sonosnet creates a mesh it shouldn’t matter if the wired device is in the centre or not. Mine is pretty central in any case, so it shouldn’t affect me either way :slight_smile:

My original post though was asking if anyone had any experience using IKEA Symfonisk as the device hard wired to create the Sonosnet.

Can anyone shed any light or comparisons between using Symfonisk or just using a Boost?