Answered

best vinyl player

• 27 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi there I am looking to purchase a record player and need some support to ensure I am ordering the right product for me. We already have :
- 2 x Play1 (I think this is what we have, we have had them a couple of years now so may be an older version). They are not wireless. 
- 1x sound bar which we have for the tv 
- 1 x subwoofer 

I am looking at what the best option for a vinyl player would be? It would be placed in the same room as the sub woofer and Play1. Are either of these compatible? Or would we need something else? 

Also is it recommended to get one already with the amp built in or not? 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 27 August 2021, 14:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

To connect a turntable to your Sonos setup, you need a Sonos device that has a line-in input like a Sonos Port, Five, or Amp. You can also get a turntable that is Bluetooth compatible and connect to a Sonos Roam then group it with your other speakers.

Any turntable will work with Sonos, but be sure to get one with a built-in phono preamp.

Read more here:

https://blog.sonos.com/en-us/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Olivia’s 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Although I can’t recommend a record player, I can point out that we sell a few ourselves:

https://www.sonos.com/shop/accessories/turntables

They all come with inbuilt pre-amps, but if you go for another brand you will need to make sure you have a pre-amp as this is required for use with Sonos.

In order to get a turntable to input to a Sonos system, you will need a Sonos product with Line-In. These are the Five, the Port and the Amp, in descending order of my recommendation to you. The Five is a great stand-alone stereo speaker with Line In. The Port has Line-In and Line-Out so can input to Sonos but also output Sonos feeds to a third-party amplifier. The Amp needs passive speakers to be wired to it to play, and has Line-In. All these units come with AirPlay 2 support, and the Five is available as a part of a set along with a Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable.

Once the audio from a turntable has been inputted to a Sonos system, it can be played by any room (even if the device with Line-In doesn’t play too), or to all speakers on the system.

I hope this helps, and that you enjoy your purchase!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Beaten to the post!

Thanks so much! So whichever route I decide to go I either need to buy another line-in input or a Sonos roam. 

when you say any turntable will work with Sonos, is that just the Bluetooth turntables or do you mean plug in ones too? Only I’ve heard not all work with Sonos (I.e Roberts) 

Sorry I replied before seeing the other comment. That is super helpful thank you so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Olivia’s 

You are very welcome!

Despite owning a Roam myself, I forgot that it was an option. It’s actually the cheapest option. Thanks, @GuitarSuperstar!