Answered

Best Option for Home Cinema

Hi Folks,

I have a Sonos Arc, the Sub Woofer and a Sonos Move.  I don’t currently use the Sonos Move to create a home cinema with the Arc as it is constantly moved around the house.  I am considering purchasing another Sonos Move or x2 Sonos One’s to add to the Sonos Arc and Sub and create a full Home Cinema Experience.  I don’t however have easy access to power points for the Sonos One’s.  

I am wondering whether there are any major benefits to purchasing the Sonos One’s over another Sonos Move, particularly if i need to go to the effort of running cabling under the floor to the Sonos One’s.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 May 2022, 03:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Well, the Sonos Move can’t be used as a surround speaker, so if you’re wanting to add surrounds to your Arc, I’d recommend the Sonos Ones (SL is least expensive). 

Thanks Bruce, great to know

Sonos makes great speakers, but not every one is fit for all duties ;) Both of my Arcs are supported by a pair of the older PLAY:1s. If I needed to replace them, I’d choose the Sonos One SL as the best option. 

Hey Bruce,

One more question for you if i may.  Which one of the options below do you think would be better with the arc + subwoofer to create the best home cinema experience (surround and stereo):

1. x1 Sonos Five (possibly add another Five some tome down the track but not guaranteed); or
  2. x2 Sonos One

thank you for all your advice to date

Hey Bruce,

One more question for you if i may.  Which one of the options below do you think would be better with the arc + subwoofer to create the best home cinema experience (surround and stereo):

1. x1 Sonos Five (possibly add another Five some tome down the track but not guaranteed); or
  2. x2 Sonos One

thank you for all your advice to date

You need two x Fives, if using them for HT surrounds. You cannot ‘bond’ a single Five as you need one speaker for each of the two rear surround channels. The two Sonos One SL’s is probably your best bet.

Ken, awesome feedback.  You are a legend, thank you.

Indeed, I’d go with the two Ones, as surrounds. In my humble opinion, Fives are essentially overkill for surround duty, and do best when used strictly for music purposes.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Best theater Arc, Sub, 2 One SLs.

Best theater with full (not ambient) room music,  Arc, Sub, 2 Fives. As said Fives are wasted as ambient music or surrounds.

Good music Ones and a Sub. (Not SLs unless you are sure you don’t want voice control)

Best music Fives, maybe a Sub.

Best of both,  Arc, Sub, 2 One SLs in HT Room, 2 Fives in Stereo Room, maybe a second Sub.

Usually too much, but you can add a second Sub to either or both Rooms.

The Arc is good and adequate for most music listening, adding the Sub does help if you have an interest in low bass. What the Arc lacks is enough stereo separation to form the best stereo sound field at normal listening distances. Not bad, better than a single Five but lacking a bit over what you’d normally have with a pair of conventional speakers.

The paired Fives give you the Stereo separation you need, usually enough bass too but some like to add a Sub.