Answered

Beam Surround sound speakers and line of sight

I am thinking of buying the new Beam but also getting 2 extra speakers for surround sound. I’ve read the document on how to , in general, setup surround sound speakers. It states that they need to be in line of sight to the device (Beam it would be in my case). However I was planning on tucking the extra speakers down and to either side of the sofa. They won’t be in line of sight. Is this going to cause me a problem? What may not work?

icon

Best answer by ratty 4 October 2021, 18:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Unless you plan to sit on a metal sofa it should be fine in terms of wireless signal. That said, surround speakers are intended to be placed at ear height. Burying them down on the floor could compromise their acoustic performance.

Unless you plan to sit on a metal sofa it should be fine in terms of wireless signal. That said, surround speakers are intended to be placed at ear height. Burying them down on the floor could compromise their acoustic performance.

Ok thanks for the info. Placing them at the side of the sofa and on the ground is to keep them out of sight and that will keep my other/better half happy. I’m aware that sound might be compromised but it’s all a trade off!

If you have an Apple device you should be able to get the system to compensate somewhat for the speakers’ positioning, using Trueplay. In any event there are settings to vary the relative level of the surrounds with respect to the main speaker.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I share your spousal disapproval of speakers, tried several options and TruePlay’ed each to see how I liked the result. Give that a shot in your room and then you’ll be able to show the spouse the best sounding locations for them to pick from.

You might look at alternative positioning too, possibly resting on their backs, pointed at the roof might sound better?

I ended up with mine in the rear corner (diamond shaped) of the room, stacked on each other, and on top of a 7 foot bookcase. After TruePlay they sound pretty decent and as they are rotated 90 degrees to fire along the walls the stereo effect isn’t awful.

If you have an Apple device you should be able to get the system to compensate somewhat for the speakers’ positioning, using Trueplay. In any event there are settings to vary the relative level of the surrounds with respect to the main speaker.

Yep, familiar with Trueplay. I was just concerned if I spend all this money and the Beam can’t “see” the surrounds. But surely as long as the surrounds are available and on the network, the sound signal will be sent to and received by them? I guess by your first reply that that is not the case and wireless signal could be disrupted but unlikely?

I share your spousal disapproval of speakers, tried several options and TruePlay’ed each to see how I liked the result. Give that a shot in your room and then you’ll be able to show the spouse the best sounding locations for them to pick from.

You might look at alternative positioning too, possibly resting on their backs, pointed at the roof might sound better?

I ended up with mine in the rear corner (diamond shaped) of the room, stacked on each other, and on top of a 7 foot bookcase. After TruePlay they sound pretty decent and as they are rotated 90 degrees to fire along the walls the stereo effect isn’t awful.

Appreciate all the replies but are yours line of sight? I’m just trying to gauge how important this is and to ensure the surround speakers will work. I’ve not bought anything yet and was just going to purchase assuming that this wouldn’t be an issue but the document on the Sonos site has got me thinking. Why state it, if it ISN’T a thing to be aware of a to set things up accordingly. What I’d really like is for someone to have rear surrounds that are definitely not in line of sight and they can confirm that they work fine. 

The surrounds talk to the Beam using 5GHz wireless. This should work fine within the same room, also through soft furnishing. It’s solid wall and floor construction which restrict its range. 

Did you really read that line of sight was needed for Sonos surround speakers? If so, where? Somebody needs setting straight. 

Did you really read that line of sight was needed for Sonos surround speakers? If so, where? Somebody needs setting straight. 

I sure did read it. It’s on the Sonos website instructing you on how to add surround speakers. Feel free to tell Sonos that they’re talking out of their fundament if you wish!

I think this a link to the doc…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

To state the obvious, “line of sight” means at radio frequencies, not those of visible light. 

To state the obvious, “line of sight” means at radio frequencies, not those of visible light. 

Wow really. I just assumed visible, and the surround speakers must not have any obstructions between them and the beam.  Sonos should clarify if that is not the case for those of us who are hard of thinking. 

It has more to do with the 5Ghz frequency in use, and the limited distance/absorption of that frequency. If they’re in the same room (essentially visible to each other) then there shouldn’t be an issue.

However, if one or the other is in another room, there’s a much higher chance the 5Ghz could be absorbed by walls, etc. Especially important when talking about the Amp, since it could conceivably be “hidden” since it’s not a speaker on its own. 

You’d be surprised about how often installers want to put many of these devices in closets, and then don’t understand when they don’t connect to surround speakers, etc. 

I must admit I didn't know that Sonos had used the expression 'line of sight', but I think they are just covering their backs (understandably). For the sort of decision over placement you were making , visible line of sight is very unlikely to be needed.

I imagine that Sonos see "in same room and with line of sight" as pretty much guaranteeing successful 5GHz wireless connection, which is what really counts.