I knew this was bound to happen…
My 25+ y.o. Marantz died a year and a half ago. I was using it for both TV and music.
I could just buy another ampli to replace it, since the speakers were (are) still good, but I wanted something “smart”, streaming capable, more compact (speakers are 50x30x20cm approx), lighter, and I’m no audiophile. I usually “hear” the music while I do something else, don’t just sit in my sweet spot listening to it, or just do it briefly.
In the end I decided to try something different, and got the Beam, knowing it was a compromise. Nice, but a bit lacking for music, bit shallow, no depth. So I added a Sub:
The set up is pleasant indeed, and satisfying for some kind of music (…whenever bass is heavily involved). But recently I got myself a decent couple of earbuds, and realized I’m missing separation, definition and details.
What to do?
- Add a couple Ones. In the front, right and left side of the Beam, to be used only for music, or back to also serve as sorround, but losing the “front scene”? But I worry they will just provide stereo feeling, not definition, details, clarity.
- Add a couple 5s, in the front I guess, to be used in “ambient” mode for music with Beam and Sub, and not used for TV.
- Get a Sonos Amp and use it to drive Beam+Sub for TV, my old speakers + sub for music (is it possible)?
- Get a new ampli to play my speakers (Beam+Sub for TV, speakers for music)
- Part from Sonos, sell Beam and Sub, and buy new amply and speakers
Not sure what to do, none of the above looks much appealing, and I don’t want to spend more, just to be back at this point in another 6 months, wondering how to improve…
What do you think? Thanks in advance!