Answered

Arc or another Brand

• 21 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Current status. JBL Studio series bookshelf, and center, Sony amp , pro-ject turntable and a average pioneer receiver in a large bonus room  this room is used for music and tv watching, very casual.  I have a tv in living room with a sound bar /sub that is easily overwhelmed by the rooms large awkward size. 5 sonos ones scattered around house  

on to the my question.  We are planning on downsizing and I won’t have a dedicated room for tv/music, the new area for tv/music will be a great room with living,kitchen and dining in one large area.  I want good sounding music and tv that I don’t have to keep asking wife “what’d they say?”

options seem to be :

A) Non-sonos sound bar (of quality that can handle room size) + sonos amp + current bookshelf speakers+ sonos sub with current Ones for music

B) Non-sonos sound bar + sonos amp +sonos sub +2 fives for music+leave ones scattered around house

C) sonos arc+sonos amp+ Sonos sub+ keep current bookshelf for music and ones scattered around house

Or

any combination of the above, open to advice 

thanks! 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 21 August 2021, 18:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

It depends whether or not you want your home theater setup to be part of your Sonos ecosystem. If so, I would go with a Sonos Arc and Sub and use two of your Ones as rear surround speakers. Then use a Sonos Amp to power your bookshelf speakers and to connect your turntable. Use the remaining three Ones around the house - maybe one in the kitchen and a stereo pair in the master bedroom.

Why are you considering a ‘bar’ of some sort? Do you want surround sound? Will this be primarily a music system or a TV watching system?

I am concerned about your complaint about not being able to understand voices. Your new space will probably be larger than the space shown above and unless you are careful about adding some rugs and drapes, the articulation in the new room might suffer relative to your current room. The current room would be impossible without the carpet.

Given that you already have the speakers and A/V receiver, I think that a bar will likely be a step down for you in terms of the overall experience, but the bar will be more compact. How old is the A/V receiver? A newer, higher end model will likely have more options for improving the articulation for you, but the room acoustics will dominate in this respect.

There are many potential approaches, depending on your goals. One approach would be to use a SONOS PORT. Connect the turntable to PORT and attach PORT to the A/V receiver as if it was a cassette deck. Each approach will have some quirks that we can discuss after we know your goals. Other than the articulation issue with the current setup, how does it sound?

Buzz

let me try and answer some of your questions that you might could help me better 

I was considering a bar mainly for the compact clean approach, i don’t want all the current large stereo equipment in the living room. surround is not important for the tv as much a improvement to the stock tv sound. I guess if I had to choose it would be primarily a music system.  I think the reason I can’t hear the voices is the current sound bar in living room is underpowered for the size of room.

my goal is to have good sounding music with a modified tv  

TV sound is an easy act to follow and virtually any external audio system will be an improvement over TV sound.

With respect to the new Living Room, ARC+SUB is a decent choice for a sound bar. You can use your current SONOS speakers as surrounds and/or to fill-in a larger space. In terms of music, I think that you will feel that the system in the picture above will sound better.

The room is a large part of this equation. You’ll have trouble with music and TV in a large, open room with little or no padding.

From an operator standpoint, a full SONOS system will be easier to operate than a mixed manufacturer system.

You can use a PORT or FIVE Line-In for your turntable.