Answered

Arc applicable in this situation alone?

• 18 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, I’m looking into a soundbar to mount underneath a 65” LG CX OLED on a MantleMount in the location attached.  The room is wide open as pictured into the open floor plan kitchen behind it.  Would the Arc be sufficient in this setup or would the Atmos/surround capabilities be severely diminished?  Are the side walls too far away too?  Looking for the experts input here and what I should do in this situation.  Thanks so much.

TV to be mounted over fireplace with a MantleMount
Kitchen area on the other side, open floor plan.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 June 2021, 18:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

The Arc should work just fine in your living room. Your TV is centered on the wall so that will help the Arc’s side-firing drivers evenly disperse the surround channels in the room. You also have flat ceilings that aren’t too high so it will work great for the two upward-firing drivers of the Arc when watching Dolby Atmos content.

Consider adding the Sub and One SLs for surround speakers in the future for an even better home theater setup.

Thank you very much for your feedback.  I was thinking the left/right/ceiling walls would be no problem as you mentioned. I was more concerned about the rear having no wall, will that be a detriment to the sounds bouncing off what otherwise it would need to create the full surround effect?

I hear you about the ceiling being used for that and the up firing speakers but isn’t the idea for that sound to bounce of the ceiling, than the back wall to create the surround effect?  TY again!

Userlevel 7

I wouldn’t worry too much about the lack of a back wall. Expecting to hear a convincing rear surround effect from a soundbar bouncing audio off of walls is unrealistic. That’s why I recommend getting actual rear surround speakers if you want to experience a full 5.1 surround system.

For the upward-firing speakers, they are designed to bounce the audio off of the ceiling directly to your seating position like this:

Upward firing speakers bounce audio off of the ceiling
to make it sound like audio is coming from above you.

Cool, thanks.  Here’s my last question.  I don’t have a new iPhone or any “newer” apple device that I could use for calibration.  I do have a VERY old iPad2 that I could pull out for calibration.  Does it matter if it’s an old device and not something with a newer microphone etc.?  I am not sure how the calibration app works but was curious if it mattered the quality of the iPhone device/mic being used for that?

Again, thank you for taking the time to help out, you’re feedback is extremely appreciated

Userlevel 7

No problem. Glad I can help.

The only iOS devices that currently don’t support Trueplay tuning are:

• iPad (8th generation)
  • iPad Air (4th generation)
  • iPod touch (7th generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)

So your iPad 2 should be fine. You could also borrow an iPhone from a friend or relative and perform Trueplay tuning if you aren’t happy with the results from your iPad 2. You only need to perform Trueplay tuning once.