Question

Amp for Outdoor System - Connect vs Connect:AMP

• 3 December 2016
  • 4 replies

I have pretty much made up my mind to go with either 2 or 4 Definitive Technology AW 6500 outdoor speakers. The plan is to start with 2 and see how it sounds and then add 2 more if needed. These speakers can handle 200 watts each. The impedance is rated at 4-8 Ohms.

I have read a few people running 2 and some that are even running 4 of these speakers on a single Sonos Connect:AMP. However, it appears this amp is only rated at 55 watts per channel which seems pretty low for speaker that can handle 200 watts. I spoke with Crutchfield and they recommended using the Sonos Connect with a Yamaha R-S700 stereo receiver that provides 100 watts per channel and only 2 of the speakers.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

What would your choose for 2 of these speakers?
1. Sonos Connect:AMP
2. Sonos Connect with a separate stereo receiver? If so, what receiver?
3. Sonos Connect with A/V receiver? If so, what receiver?

What would you choose for 4 of these speakers?
1. One Sonos Connect:AMP
2. Two Sonos Connect:AMPs
2. Sonos Connect with a separate stereo receiver or receivers? If so, what receiver?
3. Sonos Connect with A/V receiver or receivers? If so, what receiver?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Deceptive advertising is deceptive. Those speakers are rated for 200W *PEAK*. So they are probably only rated for around 50-60W continuous.

I have a CONNECT:AMP powering an ancient pair of Klipsch SA-2 outdoor speakers, which are rated 85W continuous/340W peak. I have the volume on the CONNECT:AMP at about 40%, by 50% they are too loud for the neighbors...
Deceptive advertising is deceptive. Those speakers are rated for 200W *PEAK*. So they are probably only rated for around 50-60W continuous.

I have a CONNECT:AMP powering an ancient pair of Klipsch SA-2 outdoor speakers, which are rated 85W continuous/340W peak. I have the volume on the CONNECT:AMP at about 40%, by 50% they are too loud for the neighbors...

So what do you think would be better in my situation?
1. Sonos Connect:AMP and 2 speakers ($900)
2. Sonos Connect, Yamaha Yamaha R-S700, and 2 speakers ($1,250)

Price is always a concern but I want to do it right the first time around.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Connect:amp. That way don't have to leave Yamaha on all the time.
The Connect Amp would be the right way to go if you are sure it will never be used with 4 speakers that may see impedance dropping to 4 ohms or less.