Answered

Amp and (2) Fives for TV audio

• 13 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Apologize if this is redundant. I’ve been searching around and only seen bits and pieces of what I’m looking for.

I have a 2020 Samsung TV mounted on a fireplace (no mantle). Is it possible to use an Amp bonded with two Fives for wireless tv audio? I know this is a bit overkill...but I have no desire for a soundbar, and I don’t want to use the Fives as rears.

2 reasons for doing this: keeps the missus happy with no wires (outlets tucked behind Fives) AND I’d like to have the “better” audio quality of Fives in general for music. Thanks so much...and if someone answered this elsewhere, I’m ok with reading a link, just had trouble finding one.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 March 2021, 13:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

I don’t think this setup is possible, but I’ll let someone else answer that question.

My question is if you are worried about what the “missus” thinks, are you sure she would be happy staring at two Sonos Fives when watching TV? I would think a wall mounted Sonos Arc would be much more pleasing to the eye for the missus. Not to mention one Sonos Arc is half the cost of two Fives and an Amp. You could use the extra cash to buy something for the missus or add a Sonos Sub… or both.

Thanks for the response. Not an Arc fan, and I am generally biased against soundbars. I also have an unfinished ceiling (industrial style) that can’t take full advantage of atmos, so basically paying half for something I still don’t want, is still paying too much.

White Fives on a flat white wall was the “compromise”...if it can be done 😂 Also, sub will happen eventually.

Hi.  Sorry but your proposal just doesn’t work. The Fives are amplified speakers so would not need further amplification.  You either use two Fives OR an Amp with two passive speakers.

I would advise against using the Fives because they are not designed to be used with a TV.  One issue would be an audio lag.

Given your aversion to soundbars, an Amp with two passive speakers would seem best, although you then have the issue of speaker wires…

Thanks John. I understand the difference between passive and powered speakers. What I’m asking is if it’s possible to have the Amp plugged in TV via HDMI ARC and “stream” the TV audio to the Fives wirelessly? If yes, would it also be low latency? I understand these aren’t the “intended” uses of the above products, but appears to be possible within the specs of the Amp and Fives.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MobyListens 

It is certainly possible - you would just group the Five with the Amp as it was playing (silently) TV audio. It is, however, unsupported by Sonos as the latency induced by the slower 2.4 GHz connection to and from your router on top of the latency induced by the Amp prepping the feed for synched network playback is likely enough to introduce a noticeable delay between the TV picture and the heard audio.

If your TV has an option to advance the audio (most just have a delay setting) then you could work around this. You can always buy, test and return if it doesn’t work to your satisfaction.

As @John B suggests, connecting passive speakers to the Amp or connecting an analogue feed from the TV into a Five would serve you better, but the latter option would have a 75ms delay.

Thanks so much @Corry P. I’ll probably give it a shot. And see how it goes. I’m assuming adding a Boost at the router wouldn’t help any potential latency at all? And to all who’ve responded, thank you again.

Moby

Hi.  The Boost has no effect on latency at all.  The latency is deliberately built in to provide the buffer needed for multiroom sync.

By ‘giving it a shot’ do you mean using analog from the TV to the Fives or using the Amp as you originally proposed?