Airplane Hangar

• 13 January 2024
  • 2 replies

I have a 65 by 60 foot airplane hangar with a domed ceiling, the dome starts at 15 feet high.  I want the best sound possible inside and am wondering if a pair of 5’s with a subwoofer would be adequate to fill a room this big up with sound.  The area is used as a workshop for mechanic work and woodworking so there is generally some kind of background noise to play over from a CNC, Laser or other machine running.  I was also wondering about putting in 4 5’s and two subwoofers but don’t know how I would set that up for good sound.  Any advice is much appreciated!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Get a Sonos Port and a commercial grade amplifier and speakers for that sized space and environment.

If you have a local commercial audio installer (not a home installer) they should be able to put together a very good design.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Sonos speakers designed for home indoor use aren’t recommended for a space that large. I would suggest a wired solution such as Sonos Outdoor speakers by Sonance powered by a Sonos Amp.

You can wire six (6) speakers to one amp. To use more than six speakers in pairs would require a 2nd Sonos amp for up to twelve (12) speakers.

I’d start with four (4) speakers and a single amp then add additional speakers and/or a 2nd amp if needed. Using a sub IMO would not be worth it nor recommended for a space that large.

You also need WiFi and an internet connection during setup. After setup if you don’t want to use a music streaming service you just need adequate WiFi to connect your phone or tablet to play music that is saved to those devices. You’ll also need WiFi if using more than one amp to group them together for sync’d music playback.

Note: Regardless of how many speakers are used they should be set to mono so that the sound is the same no matter your position in the space.