Answered

~$700 > Playbar OR Beam plus two Play Ones

• 12 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Like many other post I was planning in getting a Playbar but now the Beam complicates my decision.

My situation -
- planning to spend about $700
- room size medium (to small) 13’x19’
- tv does not have ARC
- i’d like to mount on the wall under tv
- Alexa already present in the room with Harmony

Option 1 - Playbar
Option 2 - Beam with two Play Ones

I’m just curious on others thoughts. The bells and whistles with the Beam I really can’t use until I get a new tv. But with the room not huge am I better going after the number of speakers vs the fullness of one.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 June 2018, 10:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Same interest here 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I dont think there is an answer to your question due to the number of variables involved, but primarily due to the fact no one, at least not outside a very small group who cant or wont comment here, has heard what a beam sounds like.
So i offer you a couple of options, wait until the beam is out and then ask the question or buy both, if you can, from sonos and return one after your audition. You are doubling your budget in the short term but you are getting back later......unless you love both and decide to keep them..

I already have a bar in a 5.1 setup in my living room (16 sq m) which i love , but planning on swapping with a beam and moving the bar to the much larger kitchen/dining/living area (60 sq m) where a 5.1 setup is not practical due multiple viewing positions.

If the beam does not cut muster, will be trying it in the master bedroom or returning .

All of this is assuming i like the sound profile once i get a chance to listen once it comes out.
The Beam and two Sonos ones will give you access to AirPlay-2. Plus you can move the Beam later on, to say a bedroom or small dining room etc. and replace it perhaps with the next generation PlayBar, whenever that comes along. Similarly you can use the Sonos Ones in other rooms if something better comes along from Sonos.

You can use the Beam with optical (toslink) output from the TV as it comes with its own converter cable to do that.

The Sonos PlayBar is really technology that’s now a few years old and is probably in need of replacement/update in the not too distant future.

I personally would opt for the Beam and two Sonos Ones.

You can always try both though, as there is a 100 day 'no quibble' return policy, if you buy direct from Sonos.