Answered

2 play 1s and a play 3 vs 2 play 5 (gen1)

• 5 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi, I'm looking to join to Sonos ecosystem and have found 2 offers and am wondering which is better. 

Option 1: 2 play 1s and a play 3 

Option 2: 2 play 5s (gen 1)

Mostly will be used for listening to music (techno and rap) and also for watching tv.

From what I've read the play 5 gen 1s are significantly worse than the gen 2s and any comparisons I can find between 2 play 1s and play 5 (gen 1) say the plays are better due to the stereo pair. But if I had a pair of play 5 (gen 1) that would negate this point so I'm not sure which option I should choose.

Thanks.  

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 5 July 2022, 12:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would not go for the Gen 1 Play 5’s. They are S1 software only, so cannot be grouped with newer Sonos gear you might want to buy in future. They are also getting a bit long in the tooth. The other devices are S2 capable and so can be grouped with newer gear.

All speakers are not suited for use with a TV. They either have no connection for TV (Play 1 and Play 3) or have an analogue connection only (Play 5) that will result in TV-sound being out of sync with the image. If you want to connect Sonos to your TV you need a Sonos soundbar or an Amp.