Question

Time Delay

• 14 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

new so apologies if this has been spoken about before. I have a Project turntable attached to the system via a Port to play via line in. 

It takes a long time for the music to start playing - often longer than it takes the first track to finish

Is there a way to stop this happening?

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Analog line in ports on Sonos have at least 75msec and maximum 2,000msec. It sounds like the delay you are experiencing is much greater than that. When the music starts to play, do you hear it from the beginning or midway through the song? If you are running the Port over WiFi, you may want to try wiring it to your router.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s at whatever point the needle is at so it’s not like it’s taking that long to actually start from the beginning. Funnily enough I did try direct to the router but ended up where I couldn’t control the volume. I find the whole thing extremely’fussy’

Userlevel 1
Badge

Right so I’ve connected direct to the router and the time delay has gone but every few minutes the playback stops for a second or so. Time delay is set at max 2000ms

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What speaker/device are you listening to the turntable on? How far is that device away from the Port or other Sonos device?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a beam and two SL’s. The turntable is right next to the port, they are about 4m from the beam

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As an experiment, you could wire the Beam to your router. With the Port and Beam both wired, you should not see any drops.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you. I think I might just have to live with it. That job would require a very long cable or a lot of disconnecting and shuffling