Skip to main content

I was recently gifted the Sonos Amp, which I have the option to return. The idea behind the gift was that it would enable me to play my vinyls through my current Sonos setup.

For context, I currently have an old Technics SL1200 (no phono preamp) that I’ve never used, and an existing surround sound system comprised of the ArcSub and two Ones that I use with my TV and for music. I also have an OPPO UDP-205 4K Audiophile bluray player with a built-in DAC. I’ve been told it can be used as a preamp—not sure how good it’d be for that though. 

How can I integrate the Technics TT into my system? As I’ve no plans to get passive speakers in the near future, is the Amp redundant? I’m also open to purchasing additional products if it would mean a significantly better listening experience. 

Not familiar with the OPPO to understand how it could be used as a pre-amp for the turntable. But that’s neither here nor there.

Why a Sonos Amp? You really only need the Amp if you’re driving a pair of your own speakers (non Sonos). If you don’t need to do so, I’d return it, and instead get a Sonos Port, and an inexpensive preamp ( probably under $50 ). Connect the Technics to the preamp, and the preamp to the (line level) line in on the Port, and you can then send the signal to any Sonos ‘room’ you choose in your system. 

You could do the same on a Sonos Amp, but if you’re not driving another pair of speakers, you’re paying for electronics you don’t need.

You could do the same on a Sonos Amp, but if you’re not driving another pair of speakers, you’re paying for electronics you don’t need.

Hi Bruce, thanks for your reply. It was very clearly explained. 

Also, as it turns out, the Amp can’t be returned after all so reading the quoted text above was a relief. So, to confirm, I need to connect the TT to a preamp then connect the preamp (line level?) to the Amp and then group the amp with all my other Sonos speakers to listen to my vinyls through my setup? 

Yes. Use grouping or set autoplay to another "room” in the app (I do not know if this is possible on an Amp, it is on my Connect).