Question

Sony Bravia and sound dropout issues

• 17 October 2016
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi,

I just purchased the Sony Bravia XBR-65X850D and hooked it up to my exisiting 5.1 Sonos Surround sound that I was using with my previous TV. I have two play 3s I'm using as the the rears, the playbar for my fronts and center, and the sonos sub.

But I'm getting sound drop outs. It doesn't matter if I'm watching live, on demand, or a recorded show on my DVR- the sound will just cutout for a second or two and keep doing that intermittently throughout the show. It may happen five or six times during the duration of an hour long show. It's not too too bad but it does get kind of annoying. And it didn't do this on my last TV. Anyway to fix this?

Thanks, G

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Well, just as a guess, I'm expecting if the only thing that changed in your system was your TV, then it's a TV problem.

I'd do a couple of things. 1) Check to see if there's a firmware update for your TV's OS. On some TVs, that's fixed the problem, although I've not heard of any issues on Sony's. 2) Make sure that the settings for Audio on the TV are set up properly. Make sure that your output is carrying Dolby Digital (Bitstream, not PCM). And I'd check all inputs (the DVR, any DVD/Bluray players, Xbox, PS4, etc) to make sure that each device is also outputting Dolby Digital (not Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS, or Stereo, etc). Oh, gosh, one more thing: 3) check to make sure that the connection of the optical cable is correctly seated. Those things are finicky, in my experience, and I usually have to check several times to make sure I've seated it properly.

If none of that works, I'd be talking to Sony, not to Sonos, and asking them about the output of the optical connection.

Good luck!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
In the advanced sound settings you'll have three options: Auto1, Auto2 and PCM. Try both Auto1 and Auto2 and see if either of those makes any difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As has been suggested, I would be inclined to check the television settings before anything else. Can you please submit a diagnostic within 20 minutes of the issue having occurred, then respond with the confirmation number? We can certainly check this for you and get it resolved soon, hopefully. Thanks in advance, we look forward to hearing from you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just did a diagnostic and my number is 6663359. I've tried updating both my sonos to the newest update and my tv's firm ware but neither needed an update. I also double checked the optical cord and it's not "crimped" or unseated or anything like that.

Any other suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you for the diagnostics, they didn't point to any problems, however. May I ask, did you check your TV's settings as advised?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I did check the TV settings. Sony even has a self-diagnostic check that I was able to do and everything was operating the way it should. And all the chords or plugged in tight with zero crimping. And the audio is set for auto and not PCM (those were the only two options).

There's no interruption to the visual- just the sound. Could that be indicative of something?
I purchased a Sony Bravia xbr65x750d and am having the same issues. I even tried to purchase a monoprice hdmi switch and it doesn't recognize Sonos so I can't turn off tv speakers. Very frustrating. I have tried everything already mentioned.
Hi,

I just purchased the Sony Bravia XBR-65X850D and hooked it up to my exisiting 5.1 Sonos Surround sound that I was using with my previous TV. I have two play 3s I'm using as the the rears, the playbar for my fronts and center, and the sonos sub.

But I'm getting sound drop outs. It doesn't matter if I'm watching live, on demand, or a recorded show on my DVR- the sound will just cutout for a second or two and keep doing that intermittently throughout the show. It may happen five or six times during the duration of an hour long show. It's not too too bad but it does get kind of annoying. And it didn't do this on my last TV. Anyway to fix this?

Thanks, G

I just bought the same model and am experiencing the same issue. Were you able to find a resolution to this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Buy a Toslink switch, not a HDMI switch. HDMI trying to pass through 5.1 can be a nightmare with some devices.
I am having the same problem with a new Sony BraviaXBR55X900F. Has anyone found a solution to what is causing the audio to be dropped and how to fix it.
Badge +2
Brayton, any resolution? I'm looking at buying that model to plug into my new Playbar.

TIA - R.

I’m having the same issues!

I have 2 fairly new a Sony Smart TVs that I bought for about $5k each and both paired with Sonos systems and they both regularly pause the sound.

especially during YouTube but also occasionally when watching a movie on Google Play.

driving me insane!

i feel like throwing them out the window

Does anyone have a fix for this? Hello Sonos.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Hello Sonos.

Yep.  I deleted the Sonos app off my phone, deleted the Google Home Sonos Setup, Factory reset my tv, factory reset the sonos speakers, created a new Sonos Account then reinstalled everything including Sonos app, Google Home app and started anew with a new Sonos login and it fixed it.  Pain in my butt and 1-2 years of torture but finally solved.  Grrrrrr. Arrrgggghhhh

Thanks for your response. Very frustrating when we spend $G's in the Sonos company and this crap happens to most if not all of us.

Take care my friend.

Kerry

I have a new Sony Bravia TV and the volume on Playbar and the surrounds fades in and out, but only when listening to music, it never happens while watching TV.  Has anyone else experienced that scenario? 

If you’re streaming music, it would have nothing whatsoever to do with the TV it is connected to, unless the TV was powered on and creating wifi interference. Instead, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.  

Thank you, I should have added slightly more context, sorry about that.  I have called SONOS support on 4 different occasions (with Diagnostic taken each time as the music fades).  Each episode they were superb, engaged, professional.  But each time the fading returned while streaming music almost as soon as we got off the phone.  

So, I decided to conduct my own experiment and unplugged the optical wire from Sony Bravia TV to the Playbar.  The fading *completely* went away.  I plugged the TV back in and the fading returned within a few minutes while streaming music.  So, the TV must be sending errant volume commands to SONOS while music is streaming even if the TV is “off”. Mind you it never fades while watching TV.  If I can isolate why it is sending errant signals to Playbar while streaming music perhaps I can address it.  Thanks again for your thoughts.

Most odd. In that case, you could probably turn off the “autoplay” function for the TV input, and the PLAYBAR would ignore any data coming in from the TV. It means you’d need to manually switch to the TV’s input when you wanted….but it’s worth a test. But I’ve never heard of a switched input causing ‘fading’ before. My thought is it would be either on or off. But it would be a no cost test, at the least. 

Most odd. In that case, you could probably turn off the “autoplay” function for the TV input, and the PLAYBAR would ignore any data coming in from the TV. It means you’d need to manually switch to the TV’s input when you wanted….but it’s worth a test. But I’ve never heard of a switched input causing ‘fading’ before. My thought is it would be either on or off. But it would be a no cost test, at the least. 

Thanks again!  Great idea, I will give that a try…  

Hi guys. My sound from sonos to tv stopped working. I have a Sony 9500 tv and sonos beam. It works with Netflix but not tv sound... anyone know how to fix issue? 

Badge

Thanks again!  Great idea, I will give that a try…  

Hey mate, how did you go?

Cheers

Badge

Hi guys. My sound from sonos to tv stopped working. I have a Sony 9500 tv and sonos beam. It works with Netflix but not tv sound... anyone know how to fix issue? 

Hey, is it a new issue? Is your Beam plugged in an ARC HDMI socket? Is your TV up to date?

cheers

Hey folks,

Adjust the settings on the Sony TV as follows:

• Turning on IP Simple Control
    1. Open Settings
    2. Go to Network and Internet
    3. Go to Home network
    4. Go to IP control
    5. Go to Simple IP control
    6. Toggle On

• Setting RS232C Control to "Via Serial Port"
    1. Open Settings
    2. Go to Remotes and Accessories
    3. Go to RS232C Control
    4. Set it to "Via Serial Port"
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hey folks,

Adjust the settings on the Sony TV as follows:

• Turning on IP Simple Control
    1. Open Settings
    2. Go to Network and Internet
    3. Go to Home network
    4. Go to IP control
    5. Go to Simple IP control
    6. Toggle On

• Setting RS232C Control to "Via Serial Port"
    1. Open Settings
    2. Go to Remotes and Accessories
    3. Go to RS232C Control
    4. Set it to "Via Serial Port"

On the RS232C Control - Mine currently is set to “Via HDMI Port” in my Sony X850G series ( 75 inch ) , is that ok ?