Sonos only accepts 14 folders or less from WD MyBookLiveDuo

• 8 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 3 replies

I have splitted my audiofiles over 18 Folders on MyBook Live Duo. Sonos will only accept a maximum of 14 folders.

The problem is when i put more audiofiles in a folder to downsize to 14 folders then i have too much audiofiles in the folders and in this way Sonos won’t accept either. I don’t know exactly how much audiofiles i can put in a folder but when i am roughly above 1500 tracks in one folder then Sonos won’t accept.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge +17

Hi @JFCR,

The Sonos music library has a few limitations to be aware of. First of all, there’s a track limit of around 65000 tracks, variable depending on metadata. There’s also a limit of 16 individual local shares that can be added here.

My question/suggestion: why are you adding each of those folders individually rather than adding the /public/shared_music folder? It looks like all of your shares are contained in that one folder (at least from your screenshot) and it would greatly reduce the number of individual shares added to the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

there’s a track limit of around 65000 tracks, variable depending on metadata.

@James L. So the 13.4.1 update didn't eliminate that 65,000 barrier?

Badge +17

there’s a track limit of around 65000 tracks, variable depending on metadata.

@James L. So the 13.4.1 update didn't eliminate that 65,000 barrier?

No. A change like this would be in the release notes for sure. :slight_smile:

Badge

Hallo James, thank you for the reply.

I did split the audiofiles over those 16 folders: ABC, DEF etc because when i tried to sync from the root (/public/shared_music folder) it did gave me an error telling me this: Error 1001 or Error 1002 your Sonos system is having trouble connecting to the music library on your computer or NAS drive.

So after splitting the files over subfolders below the root it did sync. Only to a limit of 16 folders.

The problem is when i have many audiofiles in a folder (I don’t know how much still but i guess around 1500 tracks (not 65000)) i get the same error 1001.

Badge +17

Hallo James, thank you for the reply.

I did split the audiofiles over those 16 folders: ABC, DEF etc because when i tried to sync from the root (/public/shared_music folder) it did gave me an error telling me this: Error 1001 or Error 1002 your Sonos system is having trouble connecting to the music library on your computer or NAS drive.

So after splitting the files over subfolders below the root it did sync. Only to a limit of 16 folders.

The problem is when i have many audiofiles in a folder (I don’t know how much still but i guess around 1500 tracks (not 65000)) i get the same error 1001.

Ah OK. That information helps.

Error 1002 is a network timeout - basically, the process of communicating with your NAS drive for indexing is taking too long to transmit all of the data completely. This can be due to network issues or interference, especially with smaller folders (~<5K). If there are issues in the communication between the PC and your NAS, this would definitely cause the 1001 and 1002 errors. Our customer care team may be able to help here. They’ll ask for diagnostics from your system and work with you to explore any points in the network that could be improved. You should definitely be able to add the major folder under root, as long as it’s under the track limit of 65K.

as already indicated by @James L. you may have rather network issues between your NAS and your Sonos Controller and Device - can you shed some more light which speakers you are using and how they are connected with the NAS (I can see only a Move in your profile)?

Badge

@ El Rubio,

I have only two Move speakers nothing else from Sonos.

The audiofiles are in mainly FLAC and some in MP3. (about 25.000 audiofiles total).

They are all stored on WD MyBookLiveDuo in the shared Music folder.

The WD MyBookLiveDuo is wired with a networkcable to the provider access point

I tried to sync the library on the NAS with via the Sonos app on the Iphone.

Also i tried to to sync this via the Sonos app on the laptop.

Sync goes ok if I don’t have to many files in a folder. Else i get the errors.

thanks for the details - with Sonos Moves you have no option to create/use a SonosNet, so you need to rely on a stable wifi network - is your Move ‘docked’ on the charger during the library update (just to avoid it would run out of battery or go in sleep mode)?

Badge

Yes both the Sonos Move are docked in their chargers during the library update.

as said, you need to rely on a stable wifi network - I would move the speakers close to your wifi router during the update process to ensure a solid connection