Sonos One + Alexa and Spotify

• 27 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Until Mid March I was able to use Spotify via Alexa on my Sonos One.

I could do this in the usual way ‘ Alexa play XXXX’ and it would respond with ‘Playing XXX from Spotify’

Now whenever I ask Alexa ‘Alexa play XXXXX’ I get told ‘ Heres a station you might like for XXXXX’ and its not spotify.

If I then ask ‘Alexa Play Spotify’ it tells me I need to enable the skill - I have sent instructions to your device.

Strange thing is - it is enabled, and works find on the other 2 Echo Devices.

So I followed the usual sequence:

• Disable skill
  • Reboot
  • Re-link
  • App says - successful

I try spotify App and can play on the device by selection (so Spotify Connect is working)

But I repeat:

‘Alexa play XXXX’ and no longer works. and Alexa Play Spotify - You need to enable your account.

I am confused and dont know what to try next - any ideas? 

It should be noted all other voice commands are working as expected.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Try removing Spotify from your music services in the Sonos app and re-adding it. Also unplug your Sonos One from power for about a minute.

Thankyou for the suggestions, sadly still having no luck.  Just can not get it to use Spotify via Alexa on Sonos One.  All other devices work fine.  

Struggling to see what other options are available for me to play with.

Anyone else having similar struggles? It's a recent change in behaviour.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @djl197, welcome to the Sonos Community!

It may also be worth removing Alexa via the Sonos App (Settings > Services & Voice > Amazon Alexa > Sonos One > Remove Alexa), rebooting your router, and then adding Alexa back to the speaker, before cycling the Sonos Skill in the Alexa app.

When adding Alexa back from the Sonos app, I’d also ensure that you’re using the same Amazon account details as you are in the Alexa app.

Is there any change if you follow those steps? If not, I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call, so they can take a closer look at your system and go through some live troubleshooting.

Many thanks - I did this and it did not work.  However, it did make we check which account I was using:

“Alexa switch account”

It was on a different account - so I did:

“Alexa switch to XXXXX”, then switched back “Alexa switch to YYYYYY” and it all sprang into life.

Thankyou for the help