Question

Sonos Beam gen 2 Samsung Frame TV (2021) eARC not working

• 11 October 2021
  • 9 replies

I am having an issue with my 2021 Samsung Frame TV and Beam gen 2. Sometimes I get no sound when the TV turns on, sometimes it connects to the Beam but via ARC not eARC, sometimes the TV speakers come on and go off in a loop, but no sound from the Beam G2.

I have tried the various solutions, but nothing works. The only fix is power cycling the TV. Which is a pain. If the Beam connects via ARC, turning the TV ARC setting from “Auto” to “Off” and back to “Auto” reconnects as eARC (but who wants to do that every morning?). If the TV speakers are cycling on and off every 10 seconds or so, I have to power cycle the TV to fix it.

This is a major problem when my wife turns the TV on (from artMode) first thing in the morning for the News, and gets no sound, or TV speakers on and off every 10 seconds. Her solution? “The TV speakers are fine, send the Sonos thing back”). I like my “Sonos thing”, but only if it works!

I have found that sometimes when the TV powers on on a morning with no sound (but ARC connection shown), the problem is that the volume has set itself to 0. It’s not easy to tell, as there is no volume display on the TV.

Once the problem is fixed, the TV works fine for the rest of the day, until it is powered down at night (full off). Then the problem starts over the next morning. This happens every day, and is 100% reproducible. To reproduce it, power off the Frame TV (long press on power button). Wait at least 10 minutes (time it takes for the Beam to go to stopped mode). Power on artMode (press power on remote). Wait 5 minutes, power on TV (press power on remote again) - no connection/sound from Beam gen 2, might get an ARC connection, might get volume set to 0, might get TV speakers cutting in and out. It’s a mess.

This seems to be a similar problem to the Arc not working with the 2020 Frame TV reported on this forum earlier this year.

Is anyone else seeing this? I know the Beam gen 2 is new, but there must be some people connecting it to Samsung Frame TV’s out there…

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Do you have any other devices connected to the One Connect box?

Yes,

I have my Rogers Xfinity Xi6 cable (IP) box in HDMI1, Minix mini PC in HDMI2 and PS4 in HDMI4.

I’m aware that there could be a CEC conflict with other devices, so the Xfinity box has CEC disabled, but PS4 is still enabled. Disabling CEC on the PS4 does not fix the problem anyway.

Still it’s not really an acceptable solution to have to disconnect everything/disable CEC on everything, just to get eARC to work.

TV is currently coming up with ARC enabled (not eARC) mostly. Sometimes the sound just cuts in and out every few seconds though the TV speakers on power up (TV toggles between TV Speakers and Receiver(HDMI)), no sound from the Beam. If this happens, the only solution is a power cycle of the TV.

To get eARC (if it actually comes up in ARC), I just have to toggle eARC on the TV from “Auto” to “Off” and back to “Auto”.

There is something very wrong…

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But is it wrong on your TV or on the Beam?

Userlevel 7

Have you tried disconnecting the three devices from the One Connect box just to see if it makes a difference? If it fixes the problem, connect each device individually and test, and maybe you can narrow down which device is causing the conflict. If you can narrow it down to one device, you might try either turning off CEC on that device, using a different HDMI cable, or getting a CEC-less HDMI adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI/

But is it wrong on your TV or on the Beam?

It doesn’t matter. It’s Sono’s product that doesn’t work properly, so it’s their issue to fix. Samsung is a competitor of theirs in the soundbar market, there is no incentive for Samsung or any other company to “fix” anything.

But if you can’t turn the TV on and have Sono’s Beam work, then Sonos has a problem, not Samsung.

The Arc suffered from the same problem earlier this year, and Sonos released a patch to fix it (eventually). Looks like they didn’t learn much from that experience…

Have you tried disconnecting the three devices from the One Connect box just to see if it makes a difference? If it fixes the problem, connect each device individually and test, and maybe you can narrow down which device is causing the conflict. If you can narrow it down to one device, you might try either turning off CEC on that device, using a different HDMI cable, or getting a CEC-less HDMI adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI/

I’ve already tried turning CEC off on all devices with no success, the HDMI cables are all 2.0 brand new cables (it’s a new TV).

Ill continue to fiddle with it (I’ll try disconnecting the various devices), I was more interested in seeing if anyone else has the same problem, as the Beam gen 2 is shipping now, and a lot of people have 2020/21 TV’s with One Connect boxes.

I’m sure Sonos knows what the problem is, as the Arc had the same issue earlier this year. They released a patch for it (for the Arc with Frame TV’s). I guess they need to do the same for the Beam.

Sonos says it’s a Samsung problem, but honestly, can they expect Samsung to work on an issue that makes their competitors sound bars not work? If I was Samsung I’d be “Project Sell More Sonos Soundbars” - priority: never.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Nick_W My remark was not made to lay blame, but to get a start to a solution.

Though I do not agree with you that the last piece of equipment connected is always the culprit…..

@Nick_W My remark was not made to lay blame, but to get a start to a solution.

Though I do not agree with you that the last piece of equipment connected is always the culprit…..

I never said that. I said Samsung has nothing to gain by working on this, so it’s down to Sonos to fix it.

Update:

I’m working with Sonos support on it. It seems to be a timing issue to do with the amount of time that elapses between artMode coming on (from off) to the TV turning on.

The Beam recognizes artMode as an “on” event, and so starts the eARC handshake (which fails, as the TV is not “on” as such). Then, if you turn the TV on after a period of time (5 minutes or so), the Beam does not register a second “on” event, so it comes up in ARC mode.

I you go straight from off to TV on (short time in artMode), then the Beam comes up in eARC mode.

Unfortunately, the Frame TV turns itself off and into artMode based on ambient light levels, or motion detection, so usually you don’t know how long it’s been in artMode.

Part of the problem is that if you power cycle the Beam with the TV in artMode, it causes the no sound/TV speakers cycling issue, and part of troubleshooting the problem was power-cycling the Beam…

So don’t power off the Beam, and it’s not too bad a problem.