Sonos Arc Soundbar Sound Cuts Out Randomly

• 16 November 2021
  • 7 replies

New Sonos User and purchased the Sonos ARC version exclusive with Costco

TV: QN55Q6DAAFXZA

Apple TV: A1842(32GB), tvOS 15.1.1

Sonos App version: 13.3.3, Sonos OS S2

Audio In: Silence 2.0(<----what is this?)

I am using an existing HDMI cable from my Apple TV to my Samsung TV. 

Using the Sonos provided HDMI cable from my TV(ARC line) to the Sonos Soundbar

Had everything installed on Wed 11/10/21 and excited about all the great things I had heard about the quality. Since they we have been trying to find a solution to an ongoing issue. The sound stops working when going into apps and hoping around channels via our Direct Tv Stream App. The fix thus far is to just keep clicking back and forth between channels and usually the sound comes back. When it does not after multiple attempts, we close out the Direct Tv App and re-open and then it can work again.

Also has effected other apps(Hulu, HBO, Showtime, YouTube) seemingly at random. Again, can try hopping around some in hopes in works or close/re-open.

Another temp fix is to access Airplay via Apple TV and switch that connection directly to the Sonos Arc Soundbar. It brings sound back, but no cannot change volume one back in the app. This “fix” also does not stick most of the time and will often revert back to the hdmi base connection and sound is lost.

I have read through the forums and see a lot of similar/same issues reported as far back as a Year ago. I am hoping some fix/update has been found.

This current issue is not tolerable or sustainable for practical use, so will need to 

• Find a solution from your team
  • Have a correctly working replacement unit provided by Sonos
  • Realized this problem is not fixable and return it to Costco, with my investment into the Sonos Arc Sanus Mount and installation cost all wasted

Please advise when possible. Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Here’s a suggestion. Switch off HDMI-CEC on your Apple TV and toggle ‘off’ / ‘on’ AnyNet+ on the TV. Also if the TV supports ‘pass-through’ for its digital sound out through its ARC/HDMI ports, then enable that feature and see if those few things resolve your issue.

Thanks for the suggestion Ken and truly thought you were finally the missing puzzle piece. I tried various versions of those settings adjustments and the issue is still happening. I read on one of the post regarding this issue to try swapping out the use of the hdmi cable which was provided by Sonos. I have arc compatible one on order to test that solution. Will try calling Sonos support also since none of them have bothered to respond to this post for help.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes of the next occurrence by following the instructions in the link. Post the reference ID in a follow up post. You can call Sonos Tech afterward.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Thanks for the suggestion Ken and truly thought you were finally the missing puzzle piece. I tried various versions of those settings adjustments and the issue is still happening. I read on one of the post regarding this issue to try swapping out the use of the hdmi cable which was provided by Sonos. I have arc compatible one on order to test that solution. Will try calling Sonos support also since none of them have bothered to respond to this post for help.

Sometimes just powering everything off (not standby) for 3 minutes to drain the power from all can assist, as the devices should renegotiate their handshake and that can sometimes solve the issue.

Will try that today Ken. Thanks again for trying.

@AjTrek1 Here is my diagnostic confirmation number. Took lunch break and tried to watch a show via Direct TV stream. Sound was working originally and then switch to a different channel and no sound. Then went to sonos app for diagnostic.

Well, the supervisor Matt from Sonos helped salvage this a bit. He patiently walked me through some additional variable tests and setting adjustments, first on my Samsung TV, and then the Apple TV. 

First breakthrough was testing using the Samsung native streaming apps like Netflix and Direct TV Stream, which all worked fine with the sound.

That brought us into the Apple TV settings. In there, there is not much, so I am sorry I missed this. We discovered that when you change the “Change Format” to “On” it fixes the intermittent sound loss I was experiencing.

The downside(and reason I did not try this) is that you lose Dolby Atmos quality.I noticed and shared with Matt later, that in the Sonos app, the “Audio In” label changes when I adjust this setting. Both are oddly named “Silence” and “Silence 2.0(this is when there is sound loss & “Change Format” is set to “Off”)

Cannot say I fully understand why this was so complicated and Apple/Samsung/Sonos could not just sync and play nice, but did find a solution.

The upside is that we have fully working sound.
The downside is that I will have to remember to adjust this setting when playing something Dolby Atmos supported.