Roam needs rebooting from sleep

• 2 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Was given a Roam for Xmas but it seems to have an issue. Battery saver works well however when either voice assistant is activated it needs to be rebooted to power on after being asleep. Have to hold down the power button for around 12 secs. Take the voice assistant off and it powers on with one press, even after being off all night. Tried with Alexa and Google - same result. This isn’t normal right?

3 replies

Note you can manually put the Roam into sleep/standby mode simply by using a short/quick press on its rear power button, you should hear it make a ‘descending’ two (distinct) tone ‘jingle’ - I’d perhaps describe it as a ‘ding/dong’ sound.

Once you have done that, then perhaps try, with either a further quick press of the rear power button or  the play/pause button, and it should wake-up (hopefully?) and connect almost immediately to the network with no boot time involved.

However, also note that after 30 minutes of sleep/standby mode and inactivity, if the ‘battery saver’ feature has been switched ‘on’ in the Roams ‘room’ settings, the device will automatically power itself off (only if there is no activity, including opening the App on the local subnet), in that case a short press on its rear power button (only) should then power it back ‘on’ from its ‘off’ state, but the device will boot and take a little longer time to reacquire an IP address and connect to the local network.

There should not be any need to press its power button for long periods unless switching between WiFi/Bluetooth mode (approx. 2/3sec power button press), or perhaps manually powering off the unit (approx.5/6 sec power button press).

A far longer 15+sec. press on the Roam’s rear power button is mostly a ‘last resort’ power-reset option - it’s only something that should need to done ‘rarely’, if at all, and I would try not to use it unless the device perhaps locks up in some way and becomes unresponsive, or maybe has an error displayed (Red LED - not Amber/Green/White). If the error continues I would submit a diagnostic report make a note of its reference and get in touch with Sonos Customer Care via this LINK

Thanks very much. I will try powering it off manually and see if the same thing happens. But either way it should not need a 15+ sec press to power back on. 

Thanks very much. I will try powering it off manually and see if the same thing happens. But either way it should not need a 15+ sec press to power back on. 

No that’s correct - that is a power-reset, which you really should only ever use as a ‘last resort’ option - I’ve never had to use it on the two Roams I have here and I’ve had them since the devices were first released. If the device appears faulty, then I would suggest you should perhaps contact Sonos Customer Care.