Answered

Roam & Bluetooth

• 29 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 8 replies

Hi, I recently bought the Roam and set up on my home network with no issues. Very pleased with it I might add although could do with a bit more bass.

Now we are away and I linked my phone to the Roam via Bluetooth and again no issues. However one of the kids wanted to link their phone which again was successful. However when I wanted my phone linked back to the Roam it couldn't find my phone. I have tried everything and pressed so many different buttons and combinations of inthink I have factory reset it and can't seem to do anything with it? I guess I have to set up on hone network again and basically start over? Bit frustrating to say the least. I also have a Winderboom speaker I use in my gym at home and have never had issues with connecting a different devices to it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 August 2021, 17:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I can’t really provide much advice regarding re-connecting your phone to the Roam, but doing a factory reset is definitely not advised, particularly when you cannot access your home network.  A factory reset means you are starting over, and the Roam is designed so that you must complete WiFi setup before you can do any bluetooth connections.

Well, I guess I have a little advice regarding bluetooth.  I would make sure that the Roam isn’t currently connected to another device, your kid’s phone, when trying to connect to yours.  I might even turn off bluetooth on your kid’s phone.  Not the best advice, I know, but I personally don’t use bluetooth very often.

It’s often easier to do these things on the mobile devices without touching the speaker, once a pairing has already taken place … see this support page;

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4989

There is rarely a need to factory reset any Sonos product - maybe if selling the device, perhaps? If you have reset the Roam, then I suggest you delete any ‘existing’ BT pairings on the mobile devices and create them again (just the once). Then use the mobile BT device list to connect/disconnect to/from the Roam.

Badge

Just a quick update. Back home now from the week's break. I switched my Roam.back on and hooked up to my home system seamlessly! This is what I love about Sonos. So although people including me do have problems not only with Roam but other speakers I would say it's still a great system and I do love it! Keep up the good work Sonos. Just up the bass on the Roam when you release the version 2 of the Roam :-)

Just a quick update. Back home now from the week's break. I switched my Roam.back on and hooked up to my home system seamlessly! This is what I love about Sonos. So although people including me do have problems not only with Roam but other speakers I would say it's still a great system and I do love it! Keep up the good work Sonos. Just up the bass on the Roam when you release the version 2 of the Roam :-)

Perhaps a further useful tip here @mjc1, is you can also add multiple wireless networks to the Sonos Roam (upto 16 separate networks in fact), and that can include a mobile hotspot, if you have one available to you when travelling.

My wife and I travelled recently and we added several MiFi wireless networks and two mobile hotspots to use with our Roam, so that can be useful as an alternative connection to Bluetooth (…it also meant we were able to use Amazon Alexa on the speaker too).

We also keep a few playlists/tracks stored on our mobiles to use locally over Airplay, just as a bit of a backup.

So you can ‘perhaps’ consider some of these ‘other’ suggestions (maybe) for the next time you’re travelling away from Home with the speaker …and don’t forget you can always adjust the Roam’s EQ settings if you’re looking for that additional Bass, aswell as enabling auto-TruePlay tuning.

Badge

Thank you Ken. Always learning with this system. I appreciate your tips and comments :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mjc1 

Thanks for your post!

Once Roam has been Bluetooth-paired to a second device, when you use the power button on the Roam it will look for the most recently connected Bluetooth host. Roam will remember multiple hosts, however.

To reconnect the first Bluetooth host device, all you need to do is open Bluetooth settings on that device, look for the Roam, and tap on it. As long as Roam remembers the device, it will switch to Bluetooth mode and connect, without needing to be touched at all.

I hope this helps.