Answered

Playing my Amazon Music playlists on Sonos

• 22 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

When I stream/play my Amazon playlists on Sonos, songs are cutting out and going off and on. It isn’t every song, but it’s always the same songs that do it. But when I ask Alexa to play those same songs on Sonos, they do not cut out or go off and on. What am I missing?  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 October 2021, 17:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Strange? It sounds almost like an intermittent bandwidth, or wireless interference, issue - are you running your devices on a WiFi signal, or a SonosNet (wireless/wired) signal?

What is the upload/download speeds provided by your ISP and what wireless channels and channel-widths are you using locally?

Perhaps describe your network setup in a little more detail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My understanding is that music streamed by the Sonos app is more detailed and hence requires more bandwidth than music streamed via Alexa. As a result I expect this is a wi-fi interference issue.

As near as I can tell, Amazon has indeed been moving people without any notification from their previous service to the HD service, and that would be a larger bandwidth requirement in your local network, so it would indeed be potentially more sensitive to wifi interference.

Badge +1

I discovered something interesting. The songs that are cutting out only seem to be songs played in Ultra HD. I can play the same song in HD and it doesn’t cut out. I’ve messed around with my router and doesn’t seem to help. I have high speed interenet coming in that is around 500 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload. I’m going to purchase a different router since the one I have is fairly old. So I need one anyway.

I’m going to try the router first, but I don’t think it will help. I’m still running S1 with (2) older play 5’s generation 1, (1) play 3 and a play 1. I’m thinking my Sono’s S1 system can’t handle the Amazon Ultra HD bandwidth. Upgrading isn’t cheap. 

I’ll weigh my options with possibly getting rid of Amazon music and going with something at lower bandwidth or just bite the dust and upgrade. I will have to upgrade my system someday anyway.