Bring back http://:1400/reboot

• 15 January 2019
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
For all that is holy, bring back the ability to reboot a Sonos device via a web browser.

Left stereo paired Sonos Play:1 plays sound.
Right stereo paired Sonos Play:1 is silent.

The only thing that fixed the right stereo paired Sonos Play:1 was to power cycle the Sonos Connect.
Shouldn't need to schlep across the house to unplug a power cable, and spend an eternity trying to plug it back in, when the device is already connected to the network.

Let me reboot it from my computer.
Let me reboot it from my tablet.

Do I really need to buy a WeMo outlet to accomplish this?

Setup...
Router -> (ethernet) Sonos Connect -> (SonosNet) 2 - Sonos Play:1s (stereo paired)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

@controlav -- My Sophos XG does not neet to be replaced - it works fine (and could be rebooted remotely if needed). I changed SSID names, this made my SONOS stop working correclty. Nevertheless I do see the SONOS via sonos_ip:1400 and why can i play an mp3 via http-sonos-api (http://sonos_api:5005/room/clip/doorbell.mp3/75) to an SONOS "room" but not via the SONOS Mac OS app / Android App without rebooting the SONOS player?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Count me in for another +1 for reboot functionality. We have several Connects in awkward spots, and even getting to the plug for the Play5 is a nightmare (buried behind a rack) such that if I did want to reboot them it would be a pain. I have even rebooted stuff once when on the other side off the world and the OH was complaining of issues with Sonos.

Is the security risk that someone could reboot them? Someone who is already on my network. If that is the case I have bigger problems to worry about than missing a few minutes of radio.

How much of an issue? Well probably less than once or twice year. Wired network onto Ubiquiti UniFi network with USG-4-Pro-4, switches and APs. All Connects and Playbar, and Play 5 wired, a few Sonos 1s on Sonosnet. But unplugging 13 devices would take circa 30-minutes to complete. All because functionality was removed.
Is the security risk that someone could reboot them? Someone who is already on my network.No, someone on the internet. It was evidently found that thousands of Sonos units were visible across the 'net because 'unwise' users (I'm being charitable here) had forwarded incoming traffic to port 1400 on their devices.

How much of an issue? Well probably less than once or twice year.
Sonos updates are rather more frequent than that, and they obviously trigger a full system reboot. Unless of course you've elected to lock your system at some ancient version...
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Is the security risk that someone could reboot them? Someone who is already on my network.No, someone on the internet. It was evidently found that thousands of Sonos units were visible across the 'net because 'unwise' users (I'm being charitable here) had forwarded incoming traffic to port 1400 on their devices.

That would have to be a deliberate act on the users part surely. I can't see a router having a default port forward to port 1400, and I don't see how you can accidentally set a port forward. Do we have to have wind-up players because some users opened their devices and licked the live parts?

How much of an issue? Well probably less than once or twice year.Sonos updates are rather more frequent than that, and they obviously trigger a full system reboot. Unless of course you've elected to lock your system at some ancient version...
Updates don't see me having to go round the devices rebooting them manually, the reboots are automatic. Maybe you misunderstood that the thread is about the user initiated remote reboot facility. I would hate to think you are just pedantically looking for things you can nitpick at. Maybe once or twice a year I want to initiate reboots, mainly due to network topology reasons, or I have had a switch out of action.

I am currently held back on updates but I await the day that a killer feature comes out that will make me want to abandon my CR100s in favour of the new killer feature. The removal of remote reboot functionality isn't that killer feature. I do read the version releases and all I can say is I am still waiting. Is the current app the bees knees, is the user base rejoicing in its simplicity of control?
It was evidently found that thousands of Sonos units were visible across the 'net because 'unwise' users (I'm being charitable here) had forwarded incoming traffic to port 1400 on their devices.

That would have to be a deliberate act on the users part surely.
Correct. Hence my use of the bolded phrase above.

Updates don't see me having to go round the devices rebooting them manually, the reboots are automatic. Maybe you misunderstood that the thread is about the user initiated remote reboot facility.I didn't, and IIRC I was one of the first to complain about the loss. My point was simply that, for most users, the system gets a full reboot whenever a firmware update arrives. These days that's about the only time my systems restart.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Updates don't see me having to go round the devices rebooting them manually, the reboots are automatic. Maybe you misunderstood that the thread is about the user initiated remote reboot facility.I didn't, and IIRC I was one of the first to complain about the loss. My point was simply that, for most users, the system gets a full reboot whenever a firmware update arrives. These days that's about the only time my systems restart.[/quote]

Agreed, required reboots are rare. The few times I have spoken to support they have always moaned about how long mine have been up for, and got me to reboot (fair enough), although doubt I have spoken to the support team in 10-years.

But equally the 'stupid' SonosNet is so robust that if I take apart part of the fixed network to fix/change something it routes the other half of the network via SonosNet. Handy for resilience, but when restored often needs a reboot to get operational via hardwire. I'm normally at a laptop at that point, and far easier to reboot remotely. Three storey house and can be a pain to run two flights of stairs, move a desk, open a wall cupboard, unplug device and replug.
I have a very stable network, with everything on reserved IPs on Management, Home and IoT VLANs, only the guest LAN is totally unreserved. Everything that can be wired is wired, with 50 something devices. I find this way stuff works, and we have enough pressure on WiFi as it is (10 APs on site and currently 53 guests on WiFi).
Current uptime (as I'm not doing updates) is 87-days, the exact number of days since we got back from vacation, and they were all turned off whilst we away.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
But equally the 'stupid' SonosNet is so robust that if I take apart part of the fixed network to fix/change something it routes the other half of the network via SonosNet. Handy for resilience, but when restored often needs a reboot to get operational via hardwire.
Both of my Sonos installations automatically reconfigure themselves quite happily when I make network alterations. In one case which I exercise frequently the system flips from WM:0 to WM:1, then back again when it can. It's never skipped a beat.

Which is not say that I wouldn't welcome the return of a reboot facility 🙂
Yesterday, I made a router setup modification that required a SONOS reboot. It would have been convenient if I could have done the reboot via a web interface, rather than physically dealing with the units.
Hey Sonos, what’s the verdict here?

I appreciate the security consciousness as we all need to focus on that, but why wouldn’t you provide an alternative solution before removing this feature that many of us used?

As i see it, your focus has always been ease of use — so why would you want your user to have to go through unnecessary steps to fix an issue? Also, do you not see the advantage of your users soft rebooting your devices instead of hard rebooting them?

Aaron

An important used feature, clearly used by many, has been taken away with no viable solution from Sonos. Pretty lame in my book. I think Sonos can do better.

I have to reboot some or all of my sonos devices from time to time because they just stop playing. this happens several times a year. remote reboot was good, because a lot of those devices are difficult to unplug/replug. disabling remote boot is totally stupid. in the past i have already ditched blue note in favor of sonos because it seemed to work better and with less glitches, but it looks like it’s time to switch again.

people who randomly open their network ports deserve to get hacked.

I would like to add that if you have found your system regularly needs a restart, there may be some underlying issues that our support team can assist with finding on your network which may remove the need for these reboots.

I just made DHCP reservations and need to reboot 11 devices to get their new addresses.  I thought it would be nice to hit a URL or a button in the app, but I guess instead I’ll pull out the couch, move the tv and climb a ladder instead.  :rolling_eyes:  You can add me to the list of “wish I didn’t hafta”s.

Same here. Added some new devices, changed them to static mapping, now have to go unplug them instead of issuing a quick reboot command.

The Sonos app can issue reboot commands for devices as part of updates, should be exposed via the app for our use as well, even if it’s not an api call or url.

Badge

In theory, a Sonos device should never need re-booting, BUT in the real world there are numerous things re: network, and other things which occasionally need the device re-booted. At this moment, I need to reboot my Playbar. It is installed on a beam 8 feet above the floor. Having had recent surgery on my shoulder and being a senior, the last thing in the world I want to do is get on a ladder. I used to use the ip:1400/reboot. This made it easy. It is not needed daily or weekly, but from time to time it is needed. Why can’t this great feature be restored?

Badge

I just completed rebooting 8 Sonos devices. They are located on three floors and two of the devices required me to (dangerously) climb up a ladder. This is why we need the once active IP:1400/reboot command feature.