All sorts of problems following moving house and wireless network - Help Please!

• 20 January 2021
  • 4 replies

We have recently moved house and I am trying to install our Sonos system that worked fine at our last house.

It comprises Bridge, Play 1, Play 5 (x2) , wireless dock and ZP90 zone player and controller pad.

I have the S1 app on my iPhone and have switched off all items and (starting with the Bridge) connected them one at a time with the button held down before and while powering on.

Issues are:

1. the bridge appears to be connected (with ethernet cord - white light on solid) but nothing else connects to it.
  2. The Play 5 units work as a pair if one of them is connected by ethernet but not otherwise, when working they show correctly on the S1 App and can be controlled that way.
  3. The zone player doesn't connect or show on the app. I haven't tried the other items yet.
  4. The controller doesn't find any of the Sonos products  and only identifies the controller and the Bridge under ‘about my Sonos system’.

5. When I tried to reset password on my app this didn't seem to work and appears to be identifying an email address that I have never had
  6. when I tried to phone the UK Sonos line during the day it gave a message that the office is closed (Covid related?) but no ‘work from home’ contact offered.
  7. I contacted our local Sonos seller who was as helpful as he could be but of course can do nothing to assist my login problems. 

At the core of my problems seems to be some sort of account conflict and maybe some embedded memory cache that is refusing to clear and allow my system to refresh properly.

Any ideas as to how I can get help from a Sonos Guru or do any of you think you can help steer me out of this mess! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As a guess, your BRIDGE’s power supply is failing, and the device is no longer generating an appropriate signal for the other Sonos devices to connect to it.

Try, at least temporarily, wiring one of your other Sonos devices to your router, and leave the BRIDGE unplugged. If at that time, everything shows up properly, then you can consider replacing the power supply, replacing the older BRIDGE with the better BOOST, or simply leave one of your othe Sonos devices connected to your router with an Ethernet cable.

Thanks for the suggestion, two things think it won’t be that:

firstly why should it fail now - logic suggests it is the change of network that triggered the problem.

secondly, when I connect one Play 5 with the Ethernet lead both Play 5s operate and can be controlled by the iPhone but the z90 doesn’t show and the controller finds none of these

I will however try this as at this stage I am prepared to try anything. I will let you know if this produces a result!

So, the whole ‘why now’ is because you powered down and cooled down the electronics, then plugged them back in and heated them up again. Many electronic failures occur not a steady state situations, but at change points. 

However, your second experiment suggests other potential issues. I’d be tempted to do a complete network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then while they are unplugged, performing a reboot of the router. Once the router comes back up, I’d plug back in the Sonos devices.

You can always submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up, if you’re unwilling to call in. The response time will be likely be slower, and there’s only so much they can do without having the ability to remote in to your system like the phone folks can.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Thanks Bruce

John