Skip to main content

I have an Orbi mesh set up with three satellites - one of the satellites is wired as it is at the top of the garden in the gym.  I also have a Sonos Play 3 in the gym. I am not using sonosnet.

The Sonos Play 3 in the gym takes a very long time to be discovered by the app each time and then there are huge delays (as in 30 seconds) in being able to play tracks, move on to next track, pause music etc etc.  The rest of my sonos set up which is in the house (not at the top of the garden) runs like clockwork. 

Is there something I’m missing here??

Are you running the Orbi mesh in router mode or AP (access point) mode?

What works for my mesh (faultless operation of Sonos):

• Router handles the DHCP allocation. Wifi off.
  • Mesh - running in AP Mode. First node connected to router by ethernet, wifi on, DHCP handling off. 

Router mode - everything else including Sonos in the house works perfectly. It is only Sonos up in the gym via the wired satellite that doesn’t (all other internet enable devices in the gym work perfectly too). I am loathed to use AP mode for the sake of one Sonos speaker, could it be anything else?

When Sonos updated the app in May it altered its device discovery methods, which might be impacting your ‘older’ Play 3 product. 

Are you running the latest Sonos app, and did your system run the latest update this week?

Have you tried unplugging the Play 3 for 30 secs and plugging back in again to get a new IP address in case there is an IP address conflict..? 

Thanks I will try that - is it worth setting up static IP addresses for all Sonos products?

I wouldn't have thought so, but there is no harm in trying. My speakers don’t have static IP addresses, but I’ve given a static IP address to all my mesh nodes, and that seems to work well for me. Again, probably unnecessary as the router handles DHCP allocation without any duplication of IP addresses. 

The one thing to double check is - given your Orbi mesh is in router mode - that your Orbi mesh and router aren’t both set to allocate IP addresses (i.e. ensure DHCP is off on either the router or Orbi). And also that if the router has NAT turned on that the Orbi has NAT turned off, to avoid double NAT. Which is bad apparently!

I have previously put my router into “modem” mode so I am presuming that should take care of all of that?

I have previously put my router into “modem” mode so I am presuming that should take care of all of that?

Possibly but I’m not sure I’m afraid. But when I was using router mode on my TP-Link Deco mesh, I had to manually turn off DHCP and NAT on the Deco app to avoid the mesh doubling up with these functions on the router, which was causing occasional problems with certain devices. That’s why I changed the Deco mesh to simply use AP mode so the router does all the heavy-lifting (with no wifi) and leaves the mesh nodes to just transmit the wifi. 

Sorry if this isn't helping find a solution to your Play 3 issue. If it’s not to do with the above, then maybe someone else can jump in with advice.

If you have updated the System firmware with this week’s update, then maybe this week’s app update will help when it is released. 

I always used reserved or static IP addresses for all of my permanent network devices to avoid duplicate IP addresses.

Also just to mention, try rebooting the router too. You never know.