Answered

Will Sonos One Ethernet help with audio delay to my Mac Mini?

• 29 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hallo everyone.

I’ve purchased Sonos One (gen 2) to be main speaker as I was using speaker in my Mac Mini M2 - so now sound sounds bit better.

But now I have few problems with it.

1. Audio delay on Mac Mini  - I know about 2 seconds AirPlay delay BUT will it work bit better on LAN cable? How to do this? Connect it to my router which was connected via WiFi and……. how to FORCE Sonos to use it not WiFi? I want to have WiFi disabled in iPhone - in Sonos and in Mac Mini as I do not use them.
  2. Sonos One goes on silent in Mac Mini M2 (latest macOS) after some time of silence and I have to change “Output” in macOS Settings (to TV and then back to Sonos) just to sound work again which DRIVES ME MAD - I hope this is not some kind of energy saving as this speaker does not have batteries to save them and it is hard wired.
  3. I unable to add Google Assistant - all I see is just Sonos Assistant. I have Google Assistant app installed on my iPhone and in this app I was able to see and add Sonos speaker - log in and everything) - but still I just see Sonos Assistant only in the Sonos app

icon

Best answer by the_bart123 31 March 2023, 12:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Hallo everyone.

I’ve purchased Sonos One (gen 2) to be main speaker as I was using speaker in my Mac Mini M2 - so now sound sounds bit better.

1. Audio delay on Mac Mini  - I know about 2 seconds AirPlay delay BUT will it work bit better on LAN cable? How to do this? Connect it to my router which was connected via WiFi and……. how to FORCE Sonos to use it not WiFi? I want to have WiFi disabled in iPhone - in Sonos and in Mac Mini as I do not use them.

No, I would not expect any reduction in the delay via airplay.  If you had drop outs or others issues, a wired connection would definitely help.  When the Sonos One is wired to the network, it will automatically use the connection instead of WiFi.  

1. Sonos One goes on silent in Mac Mini M2 (latest macOS) after some time of silence and I have to change “Output” in macOS Settings (to TV and then back to Sonos) just to sound work again which DRIVES ME MAD - I hope this is not some kind of energy saving as this speaker does not have batteries to save them and it is hard wired.

You’ll need to speak with Apple about that as it’s an airplay setting I believe. The speaker isn’t dropping the connection, your MacOS is.

1. I unable to add Google Assistant - all I see is just Sonos Assistant. I have Google Assistant app installed on my iPhone.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-the-google-assistant-with-a-voice-enabled-sonos-product

It may not be available in your region.  

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/google-assistant-availability-on-sonos

Badge

Hallo everyone.

No, I would not expect any reduction in the delay via airplay.  If you had drop outs or others issues, a wired connection would definitely help.  When the Sonos One is wired to the network, it will automatically use the connection instead of WiFi.  

1. Sonos One goes on silent in Mac Mini M2 (latest macOS) after some time of silence and I have to change “Output” in macOS Settings (to TV and then back to Sonos) just to sound work again which DRIVES ME MAD - I hope this is not some kind of energy saving as this speaker does not have batteries to save them and it is hard wired.

You’ll need to speak with Apple about that as it’s an airplay setting I believe. The speaker isn’t dropping the connection, your MacOS is.

1. I unable to add Google Assistant - all I see is just Sonos Assistant. I have Google Assistant app installed on my iPhone.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-the-google-assistant-with-a-voice-enabled-sonos-product

It may not be available in your region.  

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/google-assistant-availability-on-sonos

@ 3. Sadly Tutorial does not work or even is messed up and confusing.

1. So I live in UK so Assistant is supported.
  2. Sonos failed at first point 1. 

From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice > Add a Service under Voice. Choose Google Assistant and tap Add to Sonos. -------→ there is no such an option there - “Add Service is ONLY under” Music & Content and there is no such a thing as Google Assistant there - just Music stations - just under “Voice assistant” there is “Add a Voice assistant” and I have just Sonos Assistant

You might want to check your settings to show that the system knows you’re in the UK.  Maybe you’re using a VPN?

From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice > Add a Service under Voice. Choose Google Assistant and tap Add to Sonos. -------→ there is no such an option there

I’m from the UK too and if I goto "Settings tab, tap Services & Voice > Add a Service” I see 3 voice assistants I can choose to add to a Sonos One (gen2) (including Google). See attached screenshot. So I’m guessing you maybe have a country/locale setting that is perhaps incorrect in your Sonos online profile. Check your account HERE.

Badge

You might want to check your settings to show that the system knows you’re in the UK.  Maybe you’re using a VPN?

I don’t have any VPN - I’ve googled what’s my IP - map showed UK :(

Badge

From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice > Add a Service under Voice. Choose Google Assistant and tap Add to Sonos. -------→ there is no such an option there

I’m from the UK too and if I goto "Settings tab, tap Services & Voice > Add a Service” I see 3 voice assistants I can choose to add to a Sonos One (gen2) (including Google). See attached screenshot. So I’m guessing you maybe have a country/locale setting that is perhaps incorrect in your Sonos online profile. Check your account HERE.

I have no VPN - I had UK in Profile set in first place - I need to start taking screenshots to prove you :(

I’m out of ideas. Since it shows up for Ken, also in UK, it doesn’t seem to be a region issue.  Are you using android or iphone?  Do you also have one of the new Era speakers in your system?  Era speakers are not eligible for Google Assistant, which shouldn’t matter, but if there is a software problem here, maybe it’s related.

See my post in your other thread @the_bart123 - there are two further suggestions for you to maybe try.

Badge

Someone suggested to “reset app” in settings which I did and helped!

crazy bit worked!