Answered

Why do my Sonos speakers keep disappearing from my app?

• 27 March 2024
  • 9 replies

In my iOS Sonos app, my speakers come and go on the system. Sometimes they are all there then one hour later only one is showing on the system. Why is that? I am tired of rebooting my modem and router, which is what i have to do to fix the problem.  It is very frustrating.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 March 2024, 22:13

View original

9 replies

I suspect it is extremely frustrating. Probably don’t need to reboot the modem, and rebooting the router is probably more temporary, as you’ve found out. I’d likely look at the router’s manual to see how to set up reserved IP addresses in the router’s software, which would likely fix this problem. 

By the way, unplugging the Sonos while rebooting the router may be slightly more beneficial, it forces the Sonos to get new IP addresses from the router, otherwise they may be grabbing at the old ones, since the speakers likely hold on to the old ones unless they’re powered off. Really depends on whether the duplicate IP addresses are other Sonos devices or not,  but a safer thing to do. 

But really, setting up reserved IP addresses is a better solution, much more ‘permanent’. 

Thank you for the recommendation. I will certainly give that a try. Much appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Disable 5GHz on your router, it likely can’t actually route correctly.

good morning. I have 2 Play 5’s and 2 Sonos 1’s and use my iPhone to control the system. I have reserved IP addresses for all five of the devices I just mentioned. In order to see my Sonos system (or play Spotify through the speakers) I wind up having to reset the router nearly every day. Could someone point me to a resource for more troubleshooting. I like trying to learn this stuff and I love the system when it’s working but it gets aggravating.

I would recommend that you submit two system diagnostics within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, one before you reset the router, then one after, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostics that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Thanks, Bruce. Unfortunately I already reset the system this morning but will call Sonos support now.

Dave

Just spoke with Sonos Support, they had me turn off “Private Wi-Fi” and “Limit IP Address Tracking” in the iPhone settings. Fingers Crossed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Just spoke with Sonos Support, they had me turn off “Private Wi-Fi” and “Limit IP Address Tracking” in the iPhone settings. Fingers Crossed.

Have you disabled 5GHz on your router?

I had a recurrence of the issue after making the recommended changes in iPhone settings.Turns out the issue is with the router. The Spectrum router doesn’t have separate 2.5 and 5 GHz bands, at least that is what I understood from my conversation with Sonos support. I sent diagnostics when the system couldn’t find my players and another set once I had restarted my router. They say it’s a known issue with the Spectrum router and the Sonos engineers are working on a fix. In the meantime, they suggest either wiring one of the players to an ethernet port on the router or getting a different router.