Skip to main content
Answered

Why do I have to restart my router in order for Sonos to work ?

Before the update, Sonos worked just fine.

Now, I need to restart my router, in order for Sonos to play streams from TuneIn or other radio. Otherwise I am getting the "Something went wrong" message.

I shouldn't need to do this, but it looks like I have to. Why does it need a restart every day in order to work?

16 replies

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may offer a temporary respite, but in reality it exacerbates the situation because the reboot simply loses track of the IP assignments all over again. You need to do a complete refresh:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I forgot to mention. All my devices, including Sonos, are in a static IP. That’s not only to prevent what you said, but for ease, so that I know which device is under which IP.

Further, this is a new problem after the update. I’ve never had this issue with the old software.

My understanding is that there is something in the Sonos ecosystem that is causing the Sonos’ “perception” of IP to fail. However, I don’t know the code, I’m not a developer, and wouldn’t know.

That’s why I was asking if there is anything other than my guess that might be causing that.

Which model router are you using? Are you using any mesh WiFi access points?

SONOS has made some changes with respect to how they use the network. You may need to update a router setting.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, indeed, I am on a mesh network with 1 router and 2 satellites, which might be part of the problem. It’s Orbi from Netgear.

What I’ve done is put the Sonos under a “special network”, Orbi calls this IoT, which limits the devices connected under only 2.4Ghz. I thought that might do it, as there might have been confusion between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, but it didn’t help.

What’s the suggestion for the mesh network?

I’ve not been eye to eye with an ORBI. The older SONOS units are not as agile as the newer units. If the mesh units toss the SONOS clients around between access points there can be issues. Currently, I don’t have any very old units in my system. I have two WiFi networks on the same subnet. SONOS is aware of both and is free to make its own choice. If one network goes down for maintenance, the SONOS units will simply flip to the other. On occasion I’ve seen SONOS split between the two, but I don’t keep track.

On ORBI can you tie each SONOS unit to a specific access point? Of course this is not a great idea for the portables, but they are agile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes, indeed, I am on a mesh network with 1 router and 2 satellites, which might be part of the problem. It’s Orbi from Netgear.

What I’ve done is put the Sonos under a “special network”, Orbi calls this IoT, which limits the devices connected under only 2.4Ghz. I thought that might do it, as there might have been confusion between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, but it didn’t help.

What’s the suggestion for the mesh network?

On my TP-Link Deco mesh, I allow my Sonos speakers to connect to whichever band or node they need to, to function properly. They are not under a special network. The only one I have stipulated to a specific band is the Arc, which is on 2.4ghz to avoid causing a clash with its own 5ghz band that bonds it to the surrounds and sub.

I also run the mesh in AP mode, with the router in charge of DHCP/IP address allocations with wifi off. The wifi is On for the mesh disks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Try sonophone/sonopad Ios app £4, if everything ok using that, it could be latency with new cloud app 

One of my WiFi networks is a mesh and it can toss the SONOS units around, but as I said the newer SONOS units are agile.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Try sonophone/sonopad Ios app £4, if everything ok using that, it could be latency with new cloud app 

That’s on iOS only, I’m on Android.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So, there was a misconfiguration in my topology, which however was not causing any issues to my network or the old app.

Basically, I have a moden/router before the Orbi which is running my VPN, and the Orbi was still in Router mode, whereas it should be under AP mode.

If Sonos’ firmware was having an issue with the speakers being passed back and forth between satellites, that’s to be seen, I’ll report back.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well, so much for changing the topology. After a few hours of the speakers being on, I still get the message “something went wrong” when I try to play a station from TuneIn saved in my favourites; the same behaviour as before.

Do you get the same issue if you select the station directly by searching for it, rather than choosing it from your favorites?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Do you get the same issue if you select the station directly by searching for it, rather than choosing it from your favorites?

It’s a weird one, seems to be temperamental. Sometimes I open the Sonos app and it works from the recently played (note that I had to add URLs separetly from TuneIn, because TuneIn won’t play non-UK stations). Most of the times though I am getting the error message.

Again, there must be some sort of change with the new upgrades around how the Sonso ecosystem works.

Another kind of related thread that I have started is here, regarding a surround cluster (Beam + 2 Sonos SL), whereby the Beam jumps from on IP to another.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It’s a weird one, seems to be temperamental. Sometimes I open the Sonos app and it works from the recently played (note that I had to add URLs separetly from TuneIn, because TuneIn won’t play non-UK stations). Most of the times though I am getting the error message.

Again, there must be some sort of change with the new upgrades around how the Sonso ecosystem works.

Another kind of related thread that I have started is here, regarding a surround cluster (Beam + 2 Sonos SL), whereby the Beam jumps from on IP to another.

Does Tunein(new) play non UK stations?

Userlevel 1
Badge

It does but you have to manually add the station's url to your library in the app (can't do it via the desktop website)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had a chat on then phone with Sonos support.

For me at least, it turns out it was my private VPN in my router that was causing the Sonos speakers to not be able to communicate with Sonos cloud.

The tech support person told me that they couldn’t see my speakers online (even if they were) through a couple of diagnostics that we ran.

He pointed me to the Sonos “incompatibility” page, where it states that Sonos doesn’t work with a VPN.

Therefore, I put my speakers to my VPN router’s exempt list, and ever since (2 days now) they seem to be working fine. No “Something went wrong message” since, so I trust this did it for me.