Answered

Volume at maximum for a few seconds due to my cat, what is the danger?

• 29 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge

Good morning,

I was working at my desk and my cat was wandering around on my desk as he always does but there he had been behind my Sonos Five and instead of going around for the very first time he climbed on it with these paws. As a result, he turned the sound on loud while walking on it and I wonder if that could have damaged the speakers of the Sonos Five because I now find the sound muffled and especially in certain pieces I hear hiss crackling.

So reassure me or how else do we get a replacement?

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 29 January 2024, 18:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

SONOS units are well protected and, except for potential sudden release of body fluids, this should be a non event.

Hardware failure can never be ruled out, even if the probability is very low. As a first step, I suggest that you reboot the unit.

The speakers should support full volume otherwise that volume-level would not be implemented by Sonos - I’m not saying play the device that loud for long/extended periods, but I would be surprised if the cat damaged the speaker for the brief period you seem to be referring to here, unless coincidentally there was already a fault with the device and this incident has now brought it to your attention because you’re looking for it.

To ‘perhaps’ discover if it is damaged, you can play audio on the speaker at a modest volume-level and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps see from that report.

If it is faulty and you can convince your Home insurance company (accidental content cover) that the cat definitely did it, rather than just general wear and tear, maybe they will cover any replacement for you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hopefully your speaker is OK. You can set a volume limit in the app to avoid this in the future

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/setting-a-volume-limit-on-sonos-products#

SONOS units are well protected and, except for potential sudden release of body fluids, this should be a non event.

Yes, it should be, but when I accidently turned my old Play 5 to full volume for about 5 seconds it blew some of the amp stages.

I always thought that there would be protection built in to stop this, but apparently not. It was about six years old, though.

Badge

The speakers should support full volume otherwise that volume-level would not be implemented by Sonos - I’m not saying play the device that loud for long/extended periods, but I would be surprised if the cat damaged the speaker for the brief period you seem to be referring to here, unless coincidentally there was already a fault with the device and this incident has now brought it to your attention because you’re looking for it.

To ‘perhaps’ discover if it is damaged, you can play audio on the speaker at a modest volume-level and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps see from that report.

If it is faulty and you can convince your Home insurance company (accidental content cover) that the cat definitely did it, rather than just general wear and tear, maybe they will cover any replacement for you.

Hello @Ken_Griffiths 

I did as you told me and it's okay, there was no damage, I was afraid. So I deactivated the touch panel at the top from now on so that if my cat wants to walk on it again the sound will no longer move.

Have a good day.

Actarus

Badge

Hardware failure can never be ruled out, even if the probability is very low. As a first step, I suggest that you reboot the unit.

Hello @buzz, thank you very much for your response, indeed it is clear that this must be planned for.

Have a good day

Actarus

Badge

Hopefully your speaker is OK. You can set a volume limit in the app to avoid this in the future

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/setting-a-volume-limit-on-sonos-products#

Hello @Bumper, thank you, he is fine, I am relieved, I received the verdict from the Sonos teams regarding the diagnosis. On the other hand, the link you gave me scares me a lot. Because I tried to adjust it there I was at 20 on the application and 100% therefore deactivate in the volume limitation. But then, when I wanted to lower it to 27% I had to increase the other setting in the application to 78 to hear my music clearly. What scares me is that this option deactivates itself and that the limitation is no longer active and the result of the races I will know with a sound at 78 therefore ultra loud.

Have a good day

Actarus

Badge

Yes, it should be, but when I accidently turned my old Play 5 to full volume for about 5 seconds it blew some of the amp stages.

I always thought that there would be protection built in to stop this, but apparently not. It was about six years old, though.

Hello @amun, thank you for your message, so in fact zero risk does not exist. It must be expected but it can happen the proof you had the case for your Sonos unit. Have a nice day
Actarus