Skip to main content
Answered

using s1 and s2

I have older play 1, 3, and 5 using s1 app.  Replacing play 5 with a new 5.  Can I put the new speaker on S2 and run separate systems?  Older speakers won’t work with s2.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yes, it has to be done that way. Just fire up the S1 or S2 app depending which system you want to control. 

Don’t forget you may have an upgrade credit you can use against the cost of the Five, without needing to return/scrap the S1 item. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’m assuming the Play:5 is a Gen 1? Otherwise, Gen 2 can run on S2, as can Play:1 and Play:3. 

Both the PLAY:1s and the PLAY:3s have enough RAM and CPU to run S2, all of mine are doing so. If you’re retiring the old PLAY:5 gen one, and replacing it with a new Five, there is no reason not to upgrade all your speakers to S2. 

If you plan on keeping the older PLAY:5, yes, you can run S1 for it, but it won’t be able to group with the non S1 speakers. And I’d suggest unplugging it temporarily while migrating everything else to S2, just to avoid confusion in the app.