Answered

Using multiple systems on one wifi

• 11 January 2022
  • 3 replies

I live in rented accomodation with housemates. I recently purchased a Sonos Roam and tried to set it up before realising that one of my housemates has their own system on the wifi already, which blocks me from setting up my own system. He is currently away so I can’t access his speaker. 

I don’t want my housemate to have to share their account details with me for obvious reasons, so is there another solution here? How have other people living with housemates dealt with this?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 January 2022, 12:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can have multiple systems on the same network. And having your housemate’s Roam away at the moment actually helps.

At a guess your Sonos app is already associated with the other Roam. You’d need to reset it, via Settings/App Preferences/Reset App. Restart the app and follow the directions to set up a new system, with your Roam.

You can have multiple Sonos Systems on the same WiFi signal. Reset your Sonos App and choose to ‘create a new Sonos system’ and then add your Roam to that new System/Household using your own Sonos Account/login credentials. Try not to ever connect your Sonos App to your flat-mates system as if you do ever do that, you may find the controller App will switch between the two systems, but if you never connect to it, it will just connect to your system only when you open the Sonos App.

Make sure your Roam is powered on and connected before opening the App.

Just to add, it would be a much better option to use a travel router and have your own separate and secure network subnet, but that’s a matter for you to consider.

Thank you both, resetting did the trick! I’ll look into the travel router option, too -- cheers :relaxed: