Using Boost and WiFi together

• 22 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 9 replies

I  have a Sonos Boost powering my normal Sonos speaker set up.  However, for a party,  I want to set up a Sonos speaker in the garden outside the range of the Boost.

I already have a powerful wifi range extender delivering a strong wifi signal to the whole garden.

Can I have the in house speakers being fed from the Boost concurrent with the garden speaker being fed from the WiFi range extender?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I’d really want to test it first, just to be sure, but it should work, since a Roam or a Move work that way, connecting to your wifi and not the BOOST’s signal. You’d just want to be sure to have the network information in the Sonos controller before you take this speaker outside, so that the data is on the speaker before it tries to connect from outside.

Be aware that Sonos generally doesn’t like ‘extenders’, but that doesn’t mean your’s won't work. Some do, some don’t, Sonos just doesn’t support them. But that’s why I’d be testing long before the event, so that you can check, and work out any issues before the actual date. 

Badge +1

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

When you say make sure that I have the network information in the Sonos controller before I take it outside, does that mean turn the Boost off and connect the speaker I want to use outside via the house wifi direct from the router?

Rgds Ian

Note that humans are essentially bags of water. Water is a very effective absorber of WiFi energy. As your garden fills with water bags, WiFi performance might tank. You can enhance the probability of success by placing your WiFi access point and ROAM above the sea of water bags.

Userlevel 7

Hmmm….how do yo know the garden area is outside the range of the Boost. Why not just unplug the speaker, take it to the garden area, plug it in and see if it connects. 

What is the speaker that is to be used outside?  If it is one that can connect to SonosNet then distance from the Boost may be irrelevant.  SonosNet is a mesh and so the garden speaker has to connect to the nearest (broadly speaking) Sonos device.

If the garden speaker is a device that cannot connect to SonosNet then (as @Airgetlam said) you already have the setup you want - that is how Sonos works.

Your extender MUST be in “bridge” mode (aka “access point” mode,)

And no, I don’t mean you need to disconnect the BOOST, just make sure the network information is in the controller. That way, whichever signal the device can ‘see’ best, it will latch on to. 

But excellent comments, IMHO, from others, too.