Skip to main content

One of the most useless and terrible system i have ever bought.

Sinds day one it had been a struggle to connect this pice of crap to my network.

Some day's it connect with no  problem en most of the time it won't.

Sonos S1 can't find any of my devices and Sonos 2s finds them but say's they are incompatible.

Terrible and a wast of money!

Are these recently purchased new units or older used units?

Does it matter.

I purchased it new a about 9 years ago and completey new it was already crap.

I recently moved so i needed to connect them to the new network but as always a no no. The only way is to connect to play:3 with a cable to the network. The bridge give incompatible with sonos 2 and the sonos one can't find them.    

You can check S1/S2 compatibility here. BRIDGE is incompatible with and should be powered down for S2.

If you want to connect your SONOS units via WiFi, you should check your WiFi credentials while one or more SONOS units are wired to the network. I recommend keeping at least one SONOS unit wired, but this is your choice. If it’s inconvenient to wire a speaker, replace BRIDGE with BOOST.

Check for Software updates. All units should be at the same level.

If you have not done so, “reserve” IP addresses (in your router) for all regular network clients.

@Raduen,

You will need to forget about the Bridge if you have now decided to run the Play:3 on the S2 App.

Whilst the Play:3 is cabled to the router you can add your new WiFi credentials to the speaker as outlined here…

1. Open the Sonos S2 app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, press System > Network > Manage Networks.
  3. Press Update Networks and follow the prompts to connect Sonos to your Wi-Fi network.
  4. Once the wireless setup is complete, disconnect the Ethernet cable from any Sonos products wired to your router.

It is a shame that you have put up with your setup problems for 9 years but only joined the forum today. And then only to complain not seek a solution. 

How strange.

John B. I always blamed my network at my old house. I always "blame” my self first but now after moving to a new house with new network/router etc etc and still having the same issues i can only complain. 

Do you realy think i didn’t look for a solution?   

I always use the Play:3 with a network cable just to spare we the headache.

I thought this time let me follow the "tips” on the app and guess what, it point to me to sonos site where i can find and buy a new one.. so me complaining didn't come out of the blue.

May be some one can read my comments and decide if the should by a sonos or not. it's not like the sonos cost 50 euro's.  At least they could build a fireware update option or something like that into the bridge. 

@Ken_Griffiths

Thanks for you r reply.

I'll give it a try and let you know, 

@Raduen .

Fair enough, but my Sonos system (currently 7 rooms) has worked flawlessly for 10 years.  So the problem is due to something wrong on your system - either something on your network or a faulty Sonos device.  But the system generically is solid.  (I suspect the Bridge may be the problem, so dropping that may help.)

When we say that the problem is probably a network one, it does not necessarily mean that your network is faulty - it may just be a router setting that Sonos does not like.  Because it requires constant communication between multiple devices, it does require more network rigour than a single device like a smart TV does.

So please try Ken’s suggestion.  If that doesn’t cure your problems please post back with a description of your network and Sonos setup.  You problems are almost certainly resolvable.

Hello @Ken_Griffiths,

What you have described I have done before, I saw this when I started with your instructions. But i got it working this time. I'll try to describe how it wend.

Connect Play:3  to the router.

Start your instructions, follow the screen instructions to the point that i got this error:

Started the whole process again follow the screen instructions  and got this error: 

At this point i thought what the heck, i diconnected the play:3 and continue and got this time this error:

I closed the app and started all over again after doing this like 4 to 5 times i finaly got this screen:

Typed in the network setting and continued. 

For a few seconds i was happy but then i got this error.

Started the whole process again and out of the blue the sonos app found my bridge but the bridge is nowhere near a wall outlet.

I selected the Play:3 and continued.

After staring at the screen for about 5 minutes i closed the app and start it again and SUCCESS.

I played music for about 15 minutes  and then turn off the play:3, waited 10 seconds and back on again, started the app and no connection to play Play:3 . So i started the whole prcess again and when i got at the checking your sysytem. This may take… i waited for 5 minutes close the app start it back and success again.

For now i can live with it like this, there is no other way to accept it.

Thanks for your help and i hope i was able to help someone else too.

EDIT: I must say that when it works the sound is perfect.

Hi @Raduen 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! 

I’m glad to hear you got things working again, but I would still recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports. As @John B says, the issue is almost certainly resolvable, but the best way to find a resolution is to interrogate the system itself - from your descriptions, I would assume a setting on the router is causing the issues you experience.