Answered

Unable To Re-Add Device In My System

I had a Sonos One on my account but it was at my office on a different network. Just moved it back home and I’m trying to add it back into the system here for my wife’s use but it can’t be added to my system. Fails every time I try.

My suspicion is that since the device with this serial number is already in my account it can’t be added as a new device, but I can’t figure out how to get rid of it. I can see the old incarnation on my account when I log into the website but I don’t see it when I go into my system on the S2 app installed on my phone.

Ideas?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 January 2023, 10:06

View original

13 replies

Are the two systems using the same or different Sonos ID’s? Are there any other SONOS units at the office?

For the short term, don’t continue with attempts to add that office unit to your home system until we answer the above.

Are the two systems using the same or different Sonos ID’s? Are there any other SONOS units at the office?

I would think the two systems had different IDs. Unfortunately the work system only consisted of the one unit so it doesn’t exist anymore to check that. But I would be at home and see the 3 speakers I had here and then going to the office I’d open up the app and just see the Sonos One. But everything was tied to my single account.

OK, Factory Reset the office unit and add it to the home system. This will remove any music service registrations and other potential conflicts brought from the office.

OK, Factory Reset the office unit and add it to the home system. This will remove any music service registrations and other potential conflicts brought from the office.

That’s what I’ve done so far, the One is seen and is able to be configured with the home system but then it fails to add the unit to my account … and nothing so far will let me delete the old instance of the unit from my account

That’s what I’ve done so far, the One is seen and is able to be configured with the home system but then it fails to add the unit to my account … and nothing so far will let me delete the old instance of the unit from my account

Which account are you referencing?

Can you operate the unit at home? If you can sign-in to the office account, attempt to “transfer ownership”. But, since you’ve Factory Rest and added the unit to your home system, I expect that this is already done. If the accounts are mixed up, you’ll need to work with support to have your accounts straightened out.

Which account are you referencing?

Can you operate the unit at home? If you can sign-in to the office account, attempt to “transfer ownership”. But, since you’ve Factory Rest and added the unit to your home system, I expect that this is already done. If the accounts are mixed up, you’ll need to work with support to have your accounts straightened out.

I can see the speaker on my home system, but before I can control it it needs to be added to my account which is where the process fails … I’m going to contact support next and see if they can manually delete the old entry on my account

There wasn’t a separate office account, I used it at the office as a different system but from the same account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @CaptainGeek 

Devices don’t need to be removed from systems or accounts - their re-registration on another system takes care of that.

If you have a flashing green light on your office speaker but your Sonos app doesn’t react when you press the Link button on the speaker, please reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds. If you have any WiFi boosters or extenders, please turn them off and keep them that way, at least until your speaker is connected (they’re not supported).

If that doesn’t help, please try from another phone or a tablet, if you can.

Finally, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Edit: The temporary use of an ethernet cable may also help

Edit: The temporary use of an ethernet cable may also help

Connected with support yesterday and we factory reset the unit twice, once with wifi and once wired, both times still ended up getting a failure when adding it to the account. Though now the old instance of it doesn’t show up in my account any longer, that hypothesis is out.

They also recommended trying to add it with a different account but I can’t login to either my tablet or my phone with another account, going to try reaching out to support again today. This is quite frustrating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @CaptainGeek 

One thing you can try which will narrow the issue down a little is to set up a hotspot on a phone. Then, use another phone/tablet to set the speaker up, on it’s own, on the hotspot.

If you’re able to finish setup on the hotspot, then your network is the likely cause of the problem. If you are not, it makes it more likely that the speaker has a problem, but it’s still not definite as hotspots can cause problems of their own.

It may be easier to test on a friend’s/neighbour’s WiFi, however - this would also be a better test, due to the vagaries of hotspots.

In either case, if the speaker gets successfully set up on another network, you’ll know you need to concentrate efforts on your router’s settings or network topology.

It may be best to wait until you are on the phone with tech support before doing any of this, however, as they may need to do it as proof of unit failure.

I hope this helps.

Hi Captain Geek… r u managed to solve the issue..? I have the same issue with u..

i shift the Sonos One back from office to home and can’t find it in my app and do factory resetting also can not connect to app… actually it’s quite frustrating ya.. it’s really troublesome compare to blue tooth speakers… 

if u have solved this issue, pls share how to do ya… thanks.. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Hi Captain Geek… r u managed to solve the issue..? I have the same issue with u..

i shift the Sonos One back from office to home and can’t find it in my app and do factory resetting also can not connect to app… actually it’s quite frustrating ya.. it’s really troublesome compare to blue tooth speakers… 

if u have solved this issue, pls share how to do ya… thanks.. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

I took it to another network, wasn’t able to get it configured over wifi but plugged in an ethernet cable and then was able to get it added to a new account on a system of one speaker … brought it back home after that and did the factory reset to get it onto my regular account with my home wifi, happy days finally

Hi Captain Geek…

Thanks for your prompt reply and sharing ya… appreciate that… 

And I have jz tried below and it’s works..

1. Resetting the Sonus One to Factory settings 
  2. Delate the old Sonus App on iPhone 
  3. Reinstall the Sonus App again and register all again
  4. i use cable to plug to my Sonus One to my home router 
  5. Follow the instructions on iPhone to link the Sunos One to iPhone 
  6. After test working on Spotify, unplug cable from router and do wireless link to Sonus One again 
  7. after Sonus One connected to Home WiFi and test to play on Spotify and it’s working then Done.. now I’m listening on it..  

I jz done above steps and it’s working for me.. 

thanks.. 👍🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻