Answered

Unable to add Play:1 to existing system

• 7 August 2021
  • 5 replies

I tried to add the 2nd Play:1 speaker to an existing system with a Play:1 speaker. I did a factory reset on the 2nd Play:1 speaker I want to add, the wizard took me to the process and at the end I consistently get the message that the Play:1 might not be visible in the App and the I need to power cycle it.

I submitted support diagnostics; the confirmation number is 734836827.

What to do now….

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 August 2021, 17:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I would perhaps wire the speaker to the router (temporarily) and see if it then shows in your Sonos App, alongside the other Play:1 and check for any Sonos updates.

Then, all being well so far, goto "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks” use the option to ‘update networks’ and add your routers 2.4Ghz band WiFi credentials to the speaker and then try it uncabled running on your WiFi.

If either speaker then drops off from your setup, I would look at the router itself and check you do not have ‘Airtime Fairness’ or ‘QOS’ enabled on the router.

If still no luck, then perhaps report back here with the make/model of router you are using, including other WiFi access points etc?

Hi Ken,

I tried numerous things, but I am only able to use 1 of the 2 play:1’s. No clue what could be wrong, wired and wireless, same situation…. I am not using “airtime Fairness”, nor “QoS”. I am using a TP-Link Omada system with managed switches (TL-SG2008P and TL-SG2008) and Access Points (2x TL-EAP620HD and TL-EAP225). uPnP enabled, removed all FW rules etc. etc. Nothing blocking anything, wired and wireless connected to the same VLAN, iOS and MacOS devices connected to the same VLAN  as the Play:1’s…..

Planning a Sonos upgrade with Arc and Sub, but before I spend money I want this fixed. Sonos S2 is making me nervous…

It’s possible that the ‘other’ PLAY:1 has a fault, if it’s not showing up while directly wired. You probably should call Sonos Support directly on Monday to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been running S2 since it was released, on twenty plus speakers, with zero issues, including the process of updating them all from S1 to S2.

Hi Ken,

I tried numerous things, but I am only able to use 1 of the 2 play:1’s. No clue what could be wrong, wired and wireless, same situation…. I am not using “airtime Fairness”, nor “QoS”. I am using a TP-Link Omada system with managed switches (TL-SG2008P and TL-SG2008) and Access Points (2x TL-EAP620HD and TL-EAP225). uPnP enabled, removed all FW rules etc. etc. Nothing blocking anything, wired and wireless connected to the same VLAN, iOS and MacOS devices connected to the same VLAN  as the Play:1’s…..

Some managed switches may cause issues with SSDP ‘multicast’ discovery across the LAN which Sonos uses, so maybe explore that and their settings, perhaps🤔?