F.A.Q.

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Show first post

92 replies

Thanks for prompt response.  Mine is a Plusnet2 - effectively a recycled BT router!!  I will investigate your suggestions.  Thank you.

Thanks for prompt response.  Mine is a Plusnet2 - effectively a recycled BT router!!  I will investigate your suggestions.  Thank you.

Maybe one way to find out if it is the router, is to put all on the 2.4Ghz band and switch off the routers 5Ghz band (just temporarily, whilst testing) and see what happens in that case.

Just ensure the 2.4Ghz SSID name is shown as listed in your Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks” and that your mobile controller is using that same band too for connection to the LAN.

What might also help is setting the bands channel-width to 20Mhz only, as that will reduce interference. Set the wifi to use either channel 1, 6 or 11 as those channels are non-overlapping.

My guess is it should resolve your issue and then you can maybe move forward from there to resolve things more permanently. As I mentioned, using SonosNet and reserving the device IP addresses may also prove to be helpful.

For what it’s worth: I am using in multiple sites Netgear routers with DD-WRT firmware which are programmed to reboot once a week and very seldom had any connection problems with my SONOS gear, a mixture of ONEs, Play:5, Move, Roam, Beam and Symfonisks.

Thank you ‘Ken_Griffiths’ - the SonosNet solution was quite the best and easiest to set up - fortunately, one of the Sonos Ones was within an Ethernet cable length and took minutes to setup and resolved all issues. Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It's a shame that Sonos seem to be moving away from Sonosnet as a preferred setup as I find it a far more reliable setup than relying on router/mesh/AP setups…

It's a shame that Sonos seem to be moving away from Sonosnet as a preferred setup as I find it a far more reliable setup than relying on router/mesh/AP setups…

I assume there will be a period of transition, but at least WiFi 6 AX/E, or 7, will be much quicker than SonosNet v2 and hopefully the ‘device discovery’ issues will become a thing of the past across a WiFi mesh system - I don’t see any reason to not have everything operating on 5Ghz/6Ghz connections in the longer term. Home WiFi has greatly improved, but the cost of a multiple-hub mesh setup does need to come down in price. It’s not a cheap upgrade at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I agree but we're not there yet - nowhere near.

I see no reason at all that the new Eras couldn't have also used Sonosnet like every other non-portable speaker.  There may be one of course but I'm not seeing it..

I don’t understand the reasons why it doesn’t, but I’d assume there was substantial discussion around the issue at Sonos, before that choice was made. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Which is why an explanation would be nice……

And give away their ‘company secrets’? There is a reason why we don’t get told everything. Sonos has competitors. Much as we’d love to know, I can I understand a certain amount of reticence on many subjects. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Who knows but I doubt it was a big technical reason as they could have added that function without too much effort as they're Sonos speakers running Sonos software.  I think it was more strategic..

As for bandwidth etc., even ‘lowly’ 2.4GHz networks can transmit data huge magnitudes greater than even an Atmos stream requires - especially if there's multiple routes for that data to travel - called Sonosnet 😏..

I'm sure people could do tests on how much data is streamed at a time from different services but I recall doing some tests a few years back where I played a song for a few seconds and then disconnected my NAS shortly after startup and the song finished without issue so the cache is fairly large (moreso on newer S2 devices) if used correctly.  Obviously filetypes and sizes come in to play of course but people seem to have gotten into a mindset of 2.4GHz being so archaic -  yet I can Speedtest on my (2.4 SSID) WiFi and be in the hundreds of Mbps from t'internet.  Again, not everyone has those speeds incoming but it doesn't need a fraction of that to serve high quality audio - without worrying if you're connected to a different hub/disc/AP/channel….

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Corry P Can you advise how the portable Sonos devices handle roaming between 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

I have setup as per recommendations (single SSID), I am finding that when I ‘roam’ with the Roam outdoors, it seamlessly moves from 5GHz to 2.4GHz, as per you description above, uninterrupted music stream, so works well.

But I find once its on 2.4GHz, it doesn’t ‘roam’ back to 5GHz, even when idle/paused/woken up. Seems its stuck on 2.4GHz, even though there is less utilised higher bandwidth 5GHz available.

My other portable devices (mainly Apple) do roam back to 5GHz when indoors, so it seems specific to Sonos.

I don’t have band steering enabled, as the client should decide what is best connection.

Are you experiencing any issues because ROAM will not switch back to 5GHz?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

Firstly, I’m kind of with @buzz here - if there are no playback problems, don’t worry about it. Roam is unlikely to saturate the 2.4GHz bandwidth unless it’s the Group Coordinator for a large group of speakers.

I would recommend enabling band steering, however. Today, Sonos devices are better prepared to switch to 5GHz than they used to be a few years ago.

2.4GHz has a higher range than 5GHz, and it’s because of this fact that the Roam is switching to 2.4GHz once you are out of range of 5GHz. When the Roam comes back inside, it would need to struggle with it’s received 2.4GHz signal strength before it would think about switching to anything else, and if that was the case, 5GHz would definitely be out of range too. With band steering enabled, the switch should happen without the signal strength being too low, the router and client deciding together which band should be used.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

No playback issues. Its really an academic/understanding question, I have observed other portable devices such as iPhone and iPad will re connect to 5GHz when available, even with band steering disabled.

My 5GHz is half as congested as the 2.4GHz, so I wanted to understand if the Sonos portable devices should roam back to the 5GHz if its available, as the original FAQ states:

Sonos will perform best on 5GHz as it is faster, has lower latency and has less congestion. 

If we are saying it’s not broken, ie working as designed, then I wont attempt to fix it. 😀

No playback issues. Its really an academic/understanding question, I have observed other portable devices such as iPhone and iPad will re connect to 5GHz when available, even with band steering disabled.

My 5GHz is half as congested as the 2.4GHz, so I wanted to understand if the Sonos portable devices should roam back to the 5GHz if its available, as the original FAQ states:

Sonos will perform best on 5GHz as it is faster, has lower latency and has less congestion. 

If we are saying it’s not broken, ie working as designed, then I wont attempt to fix it. 😀

As a suggestion, if you powered the Roam off ‘fully’ for a short while (5+ sec. power button press) and then brought it back online in the house where you previously had it working on the 5Ghz signal, my thoughts are it will then use that faster signal until you step outside and it becomes weak again. So that might be worth trying, rather than putting the Roam into standby/waking it up again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

I am unsure of the exact operating logic behind the behaviour, and your quoted statement is correct, but yes, as the saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. However, I do think enabling band steering should ease the transition for Roam.

Incidentally, a reboot of the Roam would likely push it onto 5GHz if within range, though that isn’t exactly automatic.

Edit: Ken beat me to it!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes, rebooting Roam always gets it back on 5GHz inside. As does forcing a reconnection in the management interface on the AP.

I’m trying to set up my Play:1 to use WiFi but had zero luck. It connects fine with an Ethernet cable but no matter what I try, I just cannot get it to connect to my WiFi. I’ve tried a factory reset and added it as a new device, followed all the prompts in the app, pressing buttons when told to, get as far as connecting to temporary network SONOS but nothing, just a message saying mobile device couldn’t connect, move closer and make sure it’s powered on!

I’ve never had so much bother setting any other wireless device up. Why can’t I just tell it the SSID and password of my network and let it connect? 

I’ve never had so much bother setting any other wireless device up. Why can’t I just tell it the SSID and password of my network and let it connect? 

That would be what the “SONOS” temporary SSID is for. But since you’ve already tried wiring it once, just wire it again then go to Settings>System>Network>Manage Networks and add the SSID/password there. You can then remove the Ethernet.

That would be what the “SONOS” temporary SSID is for. But since you’ve already tried wiring it once, just wire it again then go to Settings>System>Network>Manage Networks and add the SSID/password there. You can then remove the Ethernet.

I tried all that and just nothing worked. However I do now have it working!

I was using my phone, a Google Pixel 6 Pro to try setting up, I’d been through the force stop, clear cache, clear data to no avail so I though I’d try on a different device. I installed the Sonos 2 app on my Lenovo tablet, did a factory reset of the Play:1 and voila, the tablet worked perfectly, didn’t even need to plug a cable in.

I started the app on my phone and told it to connect to an existing setup which it did and so now it works from both phone and tablet.

I still think it shouldn’t be this hard.

I was using my phone, a Google Pixel 6 Pro to try setting up, I’d been through the force stop, clear cache, clear data to no avail so I though I’d try on a different device. I installed the Sonos 2 app on my Lenovo tablet, did a factory reset of the Play:1 and voila, the tablet worked perfectly, didn’t even need to plug a cable in.

I started the app on my phone and told it to connect to an existing setup which it did and so now it works from both phone and tablet.

I still think it shouldn’t be this hard.

In my experience it’s often down to the way the phone behaves. The temporary “SONOS” SSID is open and obviously not connected to the internet. A phone might try and start a VPN on an open SSID. It might baulk at a non-internet connection. Sometimes the “auto join/connect” settings can also get in the way.

Later Sonos units have gone over to using Bluetooth LE for this kind of configuration process.

This has been my experience. Sometimes the phone/pad will not notice the SONOS connection, claim that this is some sort of rogue connection, or simply time out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Getting your speaker to a blinking green stage to fix almost any issue is something that should rarely, if ever, be needed (especially in systems where it's the only speaker you make have).  This is a factory reset and will cause one to lose ALL of the settings on that speaker and possibly your whole system.  It may have worked for you but it's wrong to post/suggest it as a general fix for the issue.  I have no idea of the switching or the relevance of the mic settings either.

This is ridiculously complicated for a system that costs what Sonos does and purports to do easily.

I just spent 2 hours trying to change the network my 4 sonos speakers connect to.   Error after error for something that should be easy enough.  Im done with it.  Piece of trash