Answered

Successful Turntable Connection?

Badge

Has anyone successfully connected a turntable to a Sonos Play 5??? We’ve tried two different turntables, cords, preamps etc and the sound quality is terrible on all of them. Please let me know which turntables you’ve had success with! So far we’ve tried Fluance and Audio-Technica. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by buzz 29 January 2023, 21:27

View original

10 replies

This could easily be a turntable setup issue. Can you describe how the sound is “terrible”?

Badge

I can’t really hear lyrics at all. With the Fluance and preamp the sound improved if we disconnected the either the red or white cable from preamp. I spent a couple hours with Fluance trying to trouble shoot before trying another turntable. With the Audio-technica it’s the same sound issue and the Sonos speaker is vibrating a lot. Sonos speaker seems to be the common denominator.

Badge +20

The Sonos line in level plays quite a major part in this, personally found it needs to be around level 9 or higher as long as everything else on the TT / preamp is correct.

Likely the cartridge is incorrectly wired.

With the Audio-Technia you may have an acoustic feedback issue. Try to avoid placing the turntable and FIVE on the same shelf.

Badge

The line in level is set to 10. Fluance checked the pins on the cartridge and everything was ok. 

Make sure that the plug is fully seated in the FIVE’s Line-In Jack.

Badge +20

The line in level is set to 10. Fluance checked the pins on the cartridge and everything was ok. 

Could try all the levels as the preamp might have a very high output.

Badge

Thank you, buzz! I pushed hard but apparently not enough. It’s working now.

Badge +20

Ha ha… simple things!