Answered

Speakers unresponsive

• 16 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Here’s what happens: I play music through one speaker in a room for a while then stop and go do something else. Later, I try to start music in a different room but it only plays in the room from earlier. The app allows me to change the speaker and room and shows that I’ve changed them...but the music keeps coming from the speaker from earlier. So I try to turn the music off entirely but it won’t turn off, just keeps playing from the speaker. So I close the app. Music keeps right on playing. It only stops when I go to the original room and unplug the speaker. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 16 April 2023, 17:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

SONOS controllers don’t play music, they just send commands to the players and the players will report back to the controller(s). You could actually uninstall the controllers after the music starts.

There was a communication issue.

Describe your SONOS system and your network. What is wired? Wireless? Router model? Wireless mesh? Network switches? Which controllers are you using? Have you received any odd error messages from SONOS or other network clients?

My SONOS system and network: I have two SONOS Ones and a Beam, all in different rooms. Nothing is wired, all three are wireless. My router is the one AT&T brought on the install, model 5268AC FXN. I’m using the SONOS app as my controller. No mesh or switches. No odd error messages. 

The Gateway manual does not get very good reviews. I suspect that at least some of your issues could be resolved if you “reserve” or “fix” IP addresses in the Gateway. Page 19 & 20 may lead to this option. The best way to do this would be to shut down everything, then reboot in the following order:

Gateway
SONOS
Everything else

Wait for each step to complete before moving to the next step.

Now, “reserve” IP addresses. I know that this is a lot of fuss, but you won’t need to repeat this unless you change or Factory Reset the Gateway. This procedure prevents lots of difficult to describe intermittent issues.

The above is not guaranteed to resolve all possible issues, but it’s “cure” percentage is very high. Once you have the SONOS system operating, submit a diagnostic and log the confirmation number. If the system experiences issues in the future, submit another diagnostic within 10 minutes of this “event”, log the confirmation number, and contact SONOS support. SONOS staff has access to the diagnostic and communication issues leave tracks in the diagnostics.

Thank you. I’ll try this. I might request a new Gateway from AT&T actually. Now that you mention it, it’s not very good and I think some of my wife’s WFH issues might come from the same crummy gateway. 

ISP’s Gateways can be problematic. At one point I had to reset my Gateway about once a month and I still had issues. I kept it only because a manufacturer asked my to keep it for a while as a test. Finally, my test commitment expired and I ditched that Gateway. That evening my problems resolved permanently.

I did an Internet search on my current ISP’s Gateway and there are a number of ‘fires’ smoldering around it.