speaker after recent update + no internet = zero funcionality

• 15 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi All,

I use Play:1 for few years and Beam (gen2) for about year. Both are on same network connected via RJ45 with disabled wifi. Play:1 has internet access as I am using it for internet radio. For beam I have limited internet connection in router and enabled it only on occasion when there was update pending. Beam is only used for TV so internet access is not needed.

So far all was working with no problems.

After recent update I have noticed that Beam is showing as not connected in app. Usual router/ speaker reboot didn't solve it out.

I have noticed that if I give internet access to Beam it will show in app again.

So far internet access was required for online services and updates but I still was able to see speaker in app, change options, play music from local NAS. 

How is working now it means if we loose internet for any reason we not be able to play local music, change volume/settings, so system become useless. 
Why do i need internet to switch on night mode for example?

Chat with Sonos was useless as they told me that always was like this (it was not as I used it for about year with no internet connection), that I need to enable wifi etc. 

In my case I can just enable internet access back but thats not a point. 

Sonos should not require internet access for speakers just to be visible in app and therefore to use speakers with local server or just change settings.

Hope at least some users agree with me so we could ask Sonos to remove that restriction.

5 replies

I don’t believe anything has changed either.  But you are going to have to explain what you mean by individual speakers having ‘internet access’.  It is not possible to set individual speakers to have internet access.  You speakers connect to your LAN and hence your router, your router connects to a modem (usually in the same box as the router, and the modem connects the router to the internet.  It makes no difference whether a speaker connects to your LAN by cable, WiFi or SonosNet.  Once set up, you need an internet connection to set up Sonos and to play internet sources.  Once set up you can play local sources without an internet connection.

At the moment, your post makes zero sense to me.

Edit: further thought.  Maybe one of your internet cables failed.

Edit 2: what do you mean, please, by “give internet access to Beam”.

Hi John

Possibly I haven't explained that very well.

Some routers allow to block selected device from accessing internet. Device still will be operating within network but wont be able to communicate outside. See icon on the left side of Beam on screenshot. So for beam its like being connected to network but you would remove plug from Virgin or BT wall socket (not mains) or your there would be fault of internet in Your area. 

If you want test it disconnect modem/router cable from wall BT/Virgin etc socket while leaving router on, wait few minutes and restart Sonos app. Maybe PC/Android app act differently but Iphone app will loose Speakers.

You will not be able to use IOS app to play local music if internet (not network) is down with current version.

BTW I have tried same with Play:1 and after internet was cut speaker show as disconnected. 

Hope thats more clear now

Thanks. Yes I think it's clear what you are doing now. Why you are doing it is another matter but that doesn't really affect my answer.

Sonos always say that you need an Internet connection to use Sonos.  That is true in that you don't want someone with no Internet connection buying a Sonos system. 

But sometimes Sonos Support seems to give the impression that Sonos will just not function when not connected to the Internet  In fact Sonos has always needed just a LAN not the Internet to play local content. I disconnected my modem- router from the outside world this evening and played music from my NAS, controlled using the Sonos Android app 

I don't know what your router is doing when it allegedly blocks a device from the Internet.  My only advice as far as Sonos is concerned would be stop doing it!

Thank you for test it John

Thats very good news, I guess I need to investigate more my system. It was working so far, that changed after recent update but If all working for you with recent update I need to start from hard resetting my router and if thats not helps just unblock Beam. As long it will work even when Internet provider has fault its fine. BTW I just tested Android app 14.20.1 and for me results as same so issue is somewhere here. 

As for router feature its very useful.For example I have assembled 2 accessories for Sonos Play:1 (not my code), display that show whats currently playing (on photo) and IR remote controller. Both are based on Raspberry Pi, both don't need internet so its good practice too keep them without access to internet for safety, I can do that with 1 click.

Thank you for your help John

No problem.  And I confirm that my system and controllers are on tbe latest firmware.  I hope ypu get your system back to working as you want it to