Answered

soundbar cuts out

• 26 November 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge

Hi everyone, 

So I have a soundbar with Sub and surrounds in my living room and multiple different Sonos speakers of different generations throughout the rest of my house. 

For some reason the living room audio cuts in and out randomly when I’m trying to play music throughout the whole home (it never does it when I’m watching TV and it’s just in the living room). 

I have a mesh NetGear router and 2 extenders and the whole house is wired with cat6. 

Recently, I tried to change  the configuration of my Living Room by connecting via ethernet but when I then tried to connect the other speakers throughout the house the Sonos app gave me an error, saying It wasn’t possible because of the extenders, which is odd as it’s all one and the same network if you know what I mean. 

Any thoughts on how to fix this ?

guy

icon

Best answer by Corry P 30 November 2023, 11:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos does not work well with  extenders. Extenders often do not pass all incoming packets.

You should be able to wire one or more of your Sonos to Ethernet coming from the Router and get all on SonosNet.

Well unless you have turned off the internal radio, aka Disable WiFi.

Badge

Sonos does not work well with  extenders. Extenders often do not pass all incoming packets.

You should be able to wire one or more of your Sonos to Ethernet coming from the Router and get all on SonosNet.

Well unless you have turned off the internal radio, aka Disable WiFi.

Thanks Stanley, i tried changing my living room to ethernet and thats when the sonos app told me during the reconfiguration it was not possible to connect my 4 other speakers because i have extenders.

What is SonosNet ?

guy

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Scroll down to Wired.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

Badge

Thanks Stanley but when I tried to connect my living room via Ethernet the Sonos app told me that I whilst trying to set up my other speakers that because I had extenders on my network it wouldn’t work. 

So basically its looking like I have to connect all via Wi-Fi and land accept that my living room is going to cut out randomly. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @editgodlas 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your Sonos system isn’t going to like the extenders whether any Sonos devices are wired to the network or not. We recommend the use of a mesh WiFi system, as they are much more robust and capable.

It could be, however, that you are experiencing dropouts due to a poor choice of Group Coordinator - the room selected first and in charge of a group. This should ideally be the room with the best connection to the network - one that is wired to ethernet, or one that is closer to the router than the rest. It may help to put the soundbar in charge of the group (selected first).

If that doesn’t fix things, there could be interference - I recommend a read of our Reducing Wireless Interference help page, and a call to our technical support team if that does not work - please be prepared to have your extenders blamed, however.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks Cory 

I cannot connect my living room (soundbar, sub, Surrounds) to the Ethernet and then have my other speakers in the house on Wi-Fi, the app won’t let me connect them so I have to have everything on Wi-Fi. 

im just surprised that I have an expense NetGear router and extenders (not mesh but all cabled to my switch), and living room cannot play without dropping out. My soundbar is literally in the same cabinet as my extender. 

Nothing else in my house has any issues… will try the troubleshooting and then likely call tech support…

guy

Badge

Ok so I am upgrading to a new mesh Wi-Fi network next week, how should I configure the speakers on the new network ?

guy

You should follow the instructions in the new router - installation instructions FAQ.

Badge

Thanks Airgetlam but what speakers do I keep on WiFi and what do I keep cabled ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Connect one or more of your main speakers to Ethernet.

Do not connect any Surrounds or Subs.

All that support SonosNet will join it. Any that don’t will use your WiFi.

I connected all the easy to hook up main speakers and soundbars, gives teh Sonos Net mesh more connection options.

Extenders, as I said above, and Sonos do not usually play well together, think there is more on that in the Support FAQ.

Badge

Ok so I will cable my soundbar in my living room via ethernet (but not the Sub or surrounds (Connect Amp)) and then the rest of the units in my house via WiFi / SonosNet.  

I Will report back with an update.