Answered

Sound drops out

• 9 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 114 replies

Hi all

Been a part of the sonos family for quite a while, and only a few hickups, usually something easily adressable. Recently i’ve been experiencing music dropping out alot, usually 3-5 mins of “bad behaviour” followed by a fair bit of time with everything working perfectly.

My setup is as follows:

Playbar (RJ45 connected)

4 Play:1 (gen2) (sonosnet)

3 Play:1 (gen1* S2 compatible)

1 Sonos Move

I have tried setting up a wifi scanner to see if theres intereference, but that does not seem to be the case, so im afraid one of my units is causing trouble, but i havent been able to pinpoint anything yet.

I tried turning off all the “old” S1’s to see if that made a difference, to no avail.

I sent a diagnostic report around one of the “bad times” #1774204207

Hope you can help me get this solved. (Wife is very unhappy!)

Regards Ole

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 February 2023, 13:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Ole,

While you wait for a forum moderator to look at your diagnostic, a couple of comments.

1. there is only one generation of the PLAY:1. The “second generation” was renamed as the Sonos One.
  2. As an initial guess, you may be experiencing a duplicate IP address issue. Unplug all your Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Wait a couple of minutes for the router to finish rebooting before reconnecting your Sonos. And start by connecting the PLAYBAR first, since it’s the base of your SonosNet system.  See if that “fixes” your issue. If it does, then I’d recommend looking in to setting up reserved IP addresses for all you network devices in your router’s DHCP table. Any router that’s gotten in that situation in the past certainly has the potential for getting in a similar situation in the future. 
  3. It’s often much faster, once you’ve submitted a diagnostic, to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. The Forum moderators, while excellent folks, have a priority to moderate the forum, and are not merely dedicated to answering support questions such as yours. 

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ole 

Thanks for your post!

I think the first thing you could do is to move SonosNet onto a different channel than the one your WiFi is using. In the Sonos app, ensure that all rooms are present/online and go to Settings » System » Network » SonosNet Channel » 1. Wait a few minutes and ensure again that all rooms are present in the app. If any have gone missing, go back to channel 11 to retrieve them and try again.

Also, I see the room in charge of the current group of speakers is the one in that group with the weakest signal to the Playbar (where they all connect). Please disband the current group, select Badeværelse, then group the other rooms to it. Badeværelse has a better signal than Soveværelse, so is better suited to the task of being in charge of the group.

There are also some multicast packets arriving at the Playbar even though they are not intended for Sonos. Please follow these steps to resolve:

Resolution

1. Log into the UniFi controller
  2. Click the Settings tab on the left sidebar
  3. Click WiFi under the Settings page
  4. Click on the network SSID. Note: if there are multiple SSIDs that the players and controllers connect to, the same will need to be done for each SSID.
    image.png

5. Scroll down to Advanced Configuration and set it to Manual
  6. Verify and confirm that WiFi Type is set to Standard
    image.png

7. Click on the Apply Changes button at the bottom of the page.
  8. Click on Settings > Networks and select the network that Sonos is being set on.
    image.png

9. Scroll down to Advanced Configuration and set it to Manual
  10. Verify and confirm that Network Type is set to Standard and IGMP Snooping is enabled.
    IGMP_Snooping1.png
  11. Disable the following options by unchecking the Enable option:
    1. Multicast and Broadcast Control (blocks all multicast and broadcast for non-listed devices).
    2. Multicast Enhancement (converts multicast to unicast when possible).
    3. Client Device Isolation (prevents wireless client on the same AP from communicating with each other).
    4. Proxy ARP (converts broadcast to unicast when possible).
      image.png
  12. Once completed, allow up to a minute for the AP to provision (apply the settings) and restore online connection, then proceed to the connection or setup of the Sonos system.

These steps should also fix the app connection issues.

I hope this helps.